Sunday, June 08, 2008

Yee Haw!


I should have kept my big mouth shut about country music! Picking country for people who probably don't like country is a pain in the ass.

My musical taste runs towards vocals and lyrics, thus my Ipod is chock-a-block with country, blues, and R&B...but I DID say I would lay some country on y'all, so here goes.

I started old school, with what is in my opinion one of the greatest country songs ever written and sung. (AC, this goes to your point on whether we are looking for obscure music. For a country fan, this is as far from obscure as it gets, but if you aren't familiar with country you may have never heard it.) This is somewhat unfair to all of you, this song should really be enjoyed immediately after a break-up or the death of someone close to you. I present to you a concise bit of misery, sung by the man that Tammy Wynette wrote "Stand by Your Man" for...
1) George Jones-He Stopped Loving Her Today

Besides misery and losing your truck or dog, country does the barroom anthem IMHO better than any other genre of music. Picking a county/rock, upbeat anthem was a bitch. You would be well-served with Big and Rich's-"Big Time" or David Allen Coe's-"You Never Even Call Me by My Name", but I went with my latest "belt it out" favorite to follow DCD's lead. (Also the name of the album is "Well Deserved Obscurity" so you got to like these guys)
2) The Warren Brothers-Sell Alot of Beer

4 comments:

Landshark said...

I'm stoked. George Jones is one of those names I hear and think, "damn I should know his stuff."

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Got'em. Thanks for posting tonight Miko. (It saves precious time having them ready to go on a Monday morning!)

Haven't listened yet but am looking forward to them with an open mind.

Octopunk said...

Miko, have you ever heard of Cowboy Troy? His claim to fame is the merging of country and hip hop. I have his album Loco Motive on my iTunes, although I haven't thought about it for months.

miko564 said...

Octo, yes, he tours with Big and Rich, who put on multi-media kind of show. (These guys discovered Troy and Gretchen Wilson) There is a painter on stage who paints to the music the whole show and various other non-traditional country stuff. Never seen it, but it is supposedly very cool and un-country.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...