Saturday, July 26, 2008

Old men can still rock out


The CSN show last night was surprisingly lively and entertaining. Backed up by two keyboards, bass, and drums, the trio chose rock over folk for most of their numbers, and there were several extensive rock jams and squealing guitar solos by Stephen Stills. CSN played a good mix of better and lesser known songs (more than half the songs were greatest hits). All the guitar playing was incredible, and once again I was blown away by David Crosby’s voice. How can a hard-living 66-year-old produce such a clear, strong, pure sound? Crosby's singing was a real high point of the evening for me. Among the better renditions: Southern Cross, Helplessly Hoping, Guinevere, Déjà Vu, and Wooden Ships (sadly, no Suite: Judy Blue Eyes nor Woodstock). On the down side, Stills’ voice was a little raggedy or maybe even a little off and he spent a fair amount of time off stage. The other detraction for me personally was their tendency- though less pronounced than when Neil Young is along- to promote their political views (I'm pro-peace but anti-preachy). I smelled no pot all night, which seemed bizarre given the crunchy middle-aged crowd and absolutely perfect summer night on the waterfront. Perhaps most importantly, I survived the show sexually unmolested. Curse reversed!

9 comments:

DKC said...

Cool review, AC. Even in your time of illness, you think of us! Glad to hear you survived without any groping!

AC said...

thanks very much dcd! i'm starting to feel better.

tonight's musical entertainment is a tad different (sorry, i don't know how to do the "click here" thing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDFgtFXfnv0

miko564 said...

AC, I am sure they wanted to sexually molest you, it's just that at their age, it is hard to grope quickly enough as a women walks by.

(The Swede's brother-in-law sounds EXACTLY like the Swedish Chef when he speaks English. Luckily he isn't offended when I giggle each time he talks.)

JPX said...

Very nice review, AC, it sounds like a terrific evening and I'm happy you're keeping music friday going. I've always been impressed by the sheer number of concerts you're able to cram in during the summer. Whirlygirl and I caught the Projekt Revolution festival last week but we've both been too lazy to write about it. I can't wait for the Dandy Warhols show this fall. Let's get there super-early so we can hug the stage!

AC said...

thanks jpx and thanks i guess miko! :) yes, cram is the word... i have the eagles this wednesday and jethro tull next monday plus a full work week and a conference this friday through sunday. definitely a bit much.

yes, jpx, let's definitely plan to arrive at the dandy warhols concert when doors open and glue ourselves to the stage. who is in so far? i have 6 tickets and they will go preferentially to horrorthonners (tickets are on me, no arguments please). i seem to remember jpx committed himself and whirly and dcd was interested... anyone else?

jpx and whirlygirl, write your projekt revolution reviews when you have a chance!

JPX said...

Oh yeah, Whirlygirl and I are both in come hell or high water. I'm certain DCD will be joining us so we can all drive up together. I assure you that we'll be there super-early. Whirlygirl can attest to the fact that I get to places early. I was 3 hours early for the opening night of Dark Knight. Crazy? Perhaps, but I was the first one in the theater, woo-hoo!

AC, those sound like great upcoming concerts. I hope you don't get too pooped out, I want to read reviews!

Whirlygirl said...

Great review AC! Wow, you are a busy girl.

Yes, I can attest to JPX's obsessive earliness syndrome. I, on the other hand, suffer from obsessive lateness syndrome. You can imagine the anxiety JPX and I give one another.

DKC said...

Oh I'm totally in for the Dandy's! I was sort of hoping to have my husband tag along if possible, but if all tix are spoken for AC I will look into getting one for him separately. Thanks so much for the generousity!!

And, wow - I too am totally impressed with the concert volume. You go girl!

AC said...

awesome! jpx and whirlygirl, i'll trust you to manage obsessive earliness and lateness respectively so as not to unduly stress each other. if it helps i can send you the physical tickets ahead of time in case whirly wins the battle. dcd, i'd be delighted to have your husband attend. even with him that is still only 5 tix being used, plus i am sure i can get more if need be.

i do have a lot of concerts this summer but the one i am by far the most excited about is the dandys.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...