Tuesday, November 02, 2010

In My Skin (Dans Ma Peau)

(2002) **** ½

You may remember when I announced my French theme at the beginning of the month that I would be (with hesitation) watching a film about a woman who gets obsessed with a wound on her body. Well, this is it, and this is about all of a summary you’re getting from me. I had JPX watch it and he’ll back me up that it’s best to discover where this movie goes all on your own.

I would not recommend this film to any weak stomachs. I had some difficulty getting through this. Though, as nauseous as it made me at times, I find this film fascinating. It’s like a car wreck you can’t turn away from. I’m actually planning on viewing it a second time with the writer/director’s commentary.

I was on the fence with whether to give this four or four and a half stars, but I finally decided on four and a half for its originality, the superb acting by Marina de Van, who wrote and directed it, and most importantly for the natural progression of the plot. This is a concept that could have gone horribly wrong by seeming forced or fake, but it doesn’t do that for a second, and instead moves in unexpected yet probable ways.

If you want something different, and you have the stomach for it, then check this out. This is also a good one for the Laurent Lucas fans.

7 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I had this one in my queue but didn't get to it. I'm so glad to know I'll have at least one really good film to count on for next year.

JPX said...

This was great! Disturbing as hell, but great! I'm glad you didn't give anything away, it's important to go into this one blind. Once I hit "play" I couldn't look away. How about that scene in the ____ where she started to ___? Shudder. I'll be writing a review soon...

Whirlygirl said...

Oh god! That was sick! Or how about the scene when she took the ____ and ____? Double shudder.

JPX said...

I agree, the sounds alone almost made me vomit. That scene in the restaurant where her arm ____ was so disturbing. Also, I can't believe she saved all her ____.

Whirlygirl said...

The restaurant scene was one of my favorites...so weird and tense. Or how about when she ____ to cover up for ____? That was pretty extreme, wasn't it?

JPX said...

Extreme and gross! I felt a little sick during the climax when she ___ with her wound. Also, I'm puzzled by the ending, did she ___ from that wound or was it just that she ___?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

You two are annoying my ____ off. This movie sounds positively disgusting. I wish you told me about it sooner!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...