Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Night of the Creeps

(1986) ***1/2


JPX & Fiddy already tackled this gem and I agree with everything they said. I also agree with several things they didn’t say.

Yes, Night of the Creeps is yet another 80's zombie movie but it sets itself apart from its peers with a careful blend of humor and horror and it carefully pays homage to classic B-movies. I was a bit skeptical during the opening sequence involving a group of rubber aliens firing lasers on a spaceship but once the story settles in, the loving tribute to Night of the Living Dead, Plan 9 from Outer Space and countless sci-fi/horror drive-in movie classics makes it pretty irresistible to gentlemen such as myself.

The characters are typical. Chris Romero is the shy, reluctant hero that finds courage when faced with adversity. Cynthia Cronenberg is the wholesome and naïve love interest who allows herself to be mistreated by her frat-boyfriend. 50P frame-grabbed this magnificent son of a bitch in full dickhead mode and I simply must repost it. Keep in mind that he’s in the middle of saying “So let me get this straight. You guys think you’re Beta material? [derisive snort]”

Inducted in the Douche Bag Hall of Fame next to the blond guy from the original Karate Kid.

Other colorful characters include determined Detective Cameron and Chris's wisecracking chum JC. The plot is set in motion when Chris and JC release a corpse from suspended animation as part of a fraternity prank. The body awakens as a slug-spitting, highly contagious blood thirsty zombie. The beauty of zombies filled with alien slugs lies in the method needed to dispose of them. The only way to destroy these mofos is to follow up the standard bullet to the head with a flamethrower to prevent the festering slugs from finding a new host.

(= BONUS POINTS)


Night of the Creeps is clever and a helluva lotta fun to watch. Before the zombies even appeared to crazy up the place, I was already hooked. It's goofy and most certainly not a classic but if you have a fondness for 80's swag then its worth your time.

5 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I'm cracking up at the three guys sitting poised with clenched fists behind the douchebag in that picture. Like the all know he's such a dick that they have to be ready for a fight at any moment.

Octopunk said...

"A fondness for 80's swag." I can't think of a more apt expression.

I've gotta add this to my roster for next year. That chick sporting the prom dress and flame thrower is the best thing to happen to ordnance since Shawnee "Saw Chick" Smith went all aggro in her pastel yellow sweater/M16 combo in The Blob remake.

Great review. I love that you're mopping up the edges of the zombie platter at the horror buffet this year.

What? I home sick today, I can use whatever metaphor I want.

JPX said...

I'm glad you liked this! I agree with your assessment. It manages to find the right balance between humor and gore, which is a rare feat. Nice summary and I love the "douchebag" picture and comment.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I definitely have to focus on zombies again next year. There's so much out there! I was hoping to review at least one from each decade this year but missed the 50's & 60's.

In other news, I could really go for a chicken burrito.

AC said...

sounds like good unwholesome fun!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...