Friday, November 19, 2010

Number 17

(1932) ***

Landshark spent some time digging up Hitchcock films this year. He got me thinking about the Hitchcock films I haven't seen, mostly the old British ones. Number 17 involves a group of thieves holding up in a seemingly abandoned house but a detective is hot on their trail. The whole chase comes to a head with a climactic scene that involves a train.

I read that Hitchcock wasn't very enthusiastic about making this film since he despised the J. Jefferson Farjeon play of the same name. I can totally see why he felt that way, this film is all over the place. I found the plot rather hard to follow, utter chaos. I did enjoy the train sequence however, it was classic Hitchcock through and through. There are still more of these old gems for me to watch, perhaps next year.

1 comment:

Octopunk said...

That shot in the staircase is pretty awesome. I want the caption to read "Look! I'm the Statue of Liberty!"

I'm glad other people are tackling Hitchcock. I love that his movies are accumulating on the blog but I always feel there are other groups of films I need to take on before I hit that big boy.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...