Monday, November 01, 2010

The Nanny

(1965) ****1/2

Little Joey is coming home from the mental hospital and everyone is walking on eggshells. Joey likes to act out and do cruel practical jokes. We come to understand that Joey was away because his actions somehow caused the death of his little sister Susy. Mom is an emotional wreck and thanks God for Nanny whom she could never manage without. Straight off we see that Joey has a huge issue with Nanny. He is mean, disrespectful and overall a sarcastic little shit. He plays cruel jokes on her and upsets the household. Things aren't always as they appear though as we slowly realize that Nanny isn't really wrapped all that tightly.


Is there another actress out there who can pull off crazy like Bette Davis? Surely I think not. I have never watched a Bette Davis film I didn't like. Even the shoddy 70's made for tv films were okay in my book because this woman carried them. Her mere presence commands attention. The Nanny is no different.


Bette Davis looms over the household like a demon lurking in the dark. Her politeness and warm smile are unsettling. One flash of an eye toward little Joey and it's like that glare is telling him, dear boy, you are no match for wits with me so you might as well just give up. Yet all the adults are completely missing the “crazy” in her eyes and Joey just keeps getting punished. Beautifully executed film, highly recommended.

8 comments:

Landshark said...

Nice! Same era as the Innocents, it looks like.

Catfreeek said...

Love the avatar.

Octopunk said...

Wow! I've never seen this, but that last picture is beautiful evil. I was saying something like this about Joan Crawford in Straight Jacket, how amazing it is that these great actresses hit their later years and not only realized they weren't the same beauties they were before, but that they could look downright ugly if they wanted to and by gum they were going to use it.

DKC said...

Sounds excellent! That is some serious hair on Bette.

JPX said...

This sounds great! I've never heard of this one but I love Bette Davis. I might have to break my "don't watch horror movies outside of October" edict and check this one out immediately. Excellent find and nice summary.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Great. Bette Davis Eyes is now stuck in my head.

"And she'll tease you..."

JPX said...

"She'll unease you..."

Damnit, now it's stuck in my head!

Whirlygirl said...

This sounds great! I need to watch this.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...