Saturday, November 13, 2010

Phone

(2002) **

This was the last movie I watched in October, and I just can’t seem to remember it. Though, I do vividly recall my boredom and wishing this wasn’t my last pick of the Horrorthon season. Since my memory loss would only populate a pathetic and patchy summary, I’m stealing one from IMDB. It’s the weekend, so I’m hoping my shameful review won’t be seen by most blogger’s eyes. Forgive me.

“Soon after Ji-won gets a new cell phone, her friend's young daughter, Yeong-ju, puts it to her ear and immediately begins screaming in terror. When other strange things start happening in connection with the phone, Ji-Won does some investigating and discovers that of the people before her who had the same number, almost all of them died suddenly under unusual circumstances. As Yeong-ju's behavior becomes increasingly alarming, Ji-won digs deeper into the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of the number's first owner, a high school girl named Jin-hie.”

It’s seems like a fairly interesting plot, so maybe my lack of attention was due to Horrorthon burnout. I’d say that I’ll give it another shot next year, but I don’t want to. I’m sure Cat and Tony saw this and can weigh in. I did love Yeong-ju, the little girl. She is pretty freaky and awesome. Her performance is actually where my two stars come from.

3 comments:

JPX said...

I watched this when it first came out and recall liking it. Of course this was when J-horror was all the rage and there have been better efforts since. I agree about the little girl, she's terrific in this.

Tou stole the summary? Thief, thief!

Catfreeek said...

"I’m sure Cat and Tony saw this and can weigh in."~ We haven't seen this one yet so Ha! Actually the cover picture looked familiar so I looked it up. It's sitting in our instant watch queue but we never got to it.

Octopunk said...

I remember watching this with JPX in the heady days of 2003. It is indeed overshadowed by its worthier brethren, as I'd almost completely forgotten it.

The little girl is the best part, both the actress and as a plot element. What could she have possibly heard? Creepy.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...