Sunday, January 16, 2011

Believers

(2007) ***1/2

Two emergency paramedics respond to a call from a young girl and are dispatched to a deserted area. Shortly after arriving at the scene they are kidnapped and locked in a secluded building. A cult that believes the world is about to come to an end tries to persuade them into joining them in a mass suicide. They're pretty convincing too.

What I really liked about this film was the subtly dark mood that loomed over it entirely. The music played throughout was spellbinding adding to the ominous aura and surreptitious tone. The script is smart and thought-provoking. The tension mounts as the film progresses conveying the dire urgency for the paramedics to resolve their predicament before it's too late. The cult is persuasive and controlling yet it's members are deceptively kind. One has to question if their kindness is genuine or feigned. An obscure and refreshing find, it's rare to find a film of this type where the cult members are portrayed as sane rational-minded intelligent beings rather than whacked out religious nutcases. Or are they?

3 comments:

JPX said...

I've never heard of this one, but you know how I love my "predicament" stories! Nice find.

Catfreeek said...

It's in Netflix as Believers: Raw Feed Series I guess not to be confused with Martin Sheen's Believers.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I do love me a good cult movie! I was sold by the pic.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...