Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Photographing MGM’s Lion Logo


From slashfilm, I’ve never thought much about the behind the scenes work that created the MGM ‘Lion’ logo. I just accepted it as one of the great cinema icons. Then I saw this great image that captures the creation of that icon.

This pic, originally seen today on Reddit, caught my eye not only because of the obvious appeal of seeing the creation of an iconic image. No, what I really love here is the fact that it’s so low-key: a couple guys with their gear, and the lion. That’s part of the beauty of cinema — all the fancy stuff isn’t truly necessary as long as you’ve got a great subject and know how to show it off.

The original Reddit post labeled this as being from 1924, which would make it part of the ‘career’ of the first MGM lion. But the microphone and general appearance of the great cat make it more likely to be the second lion, Jackie, photographed in 1928.

4 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I love that first picture.

Julie said...

I wonder if they styled its mane.

Octopunk said...

That picture is great! It looks like a joke, like a Far Side cartoon in which lab-coated scientists use sophisticated instruments to measure something weird.

The first thing I thought is that they're sitting awfully close to it.

Catfreeek said...

They definitely styled his mane. It's way too fluffy and flowing.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...