Friday, October 19, 2012

Race with the Devil

(1975) ****1/2

This splendid occult horror film has a simple premise: evil Pagan worshipers pursue two couples traveling to Colorado in their RV and will stop at nothing until their existence is eradicated.

Peter Fonda and Warren Oates witness a human sacrifice in the woods and from there it all goes downhill for them. They do what any logical person would do -- notify the authorities and get the hell out of there. There was a great suspense buildup and I feel that Race with the Devil, despite its basic premise, had some solid characters that kept it interesting throughout. The men have the guns and are the protectors, the women are the detectives trying to piece it all together; all feel hopeless in seeking answers to their question, "Why us?"

I really liked the atmosphere of distrust that I was thrown into as the viewer even though it sent chills up my spine. I'd recommend this to anyone.

5 comments:

JPX said...

I've always loved this movie. What's not to love? Devil worship and one hell-of-a-chase, great stuff!

Tell JSP that I have that poster.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

JPX that poster had better framed and hanging proudly in your basement and not rolled up in a tube somewhere.

I could watch this movie every day.

Catfreeek said...

Good stuff, I love Peter Fonda.

AC said...

argh, i just tried to add it to the queue, but netflix ain't got it. :(

Octopunk said...

I will definitely see this someday. It's clearly full of 1970s moxie.

Love that last pic!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...