Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sector 7

 (2011) ***

I have been waiting for quite some time to watch this film, it’s not often that a new monster movie comes out and Sector 7 has been a long time coming. It is also the first 3–D film to be released in South Korea. After an underwater earthquake, the crew at an oilrig discovers a strange new species of sea creature. They are fascinated with the tiny graceful creatures that look almost like sea fairies until one of them grows up and becomes an enormous destructive menace terrorizing and mutilating the crew.

In the fashion of Alien, one bad ass female that the crew has fondly nicknamed hard ass heads the oilrig crew. Now I am not in a long shot comparing this film to Alien, if I did I might as well just tell you to pitch your copy of Sector 7 into the nearest vat of acid. I’m not saying the film is bad altogether, obviously my rating will tell you that I did like it but there are some definite issues here. The first 30 minutes of the film drag on with poor dialog and no excitement whatsoever. The monster finally makes an appearance about half way into this film and from there on out it is non-stop action. Be warned however, the CG is bad, like Syfy channel bad. I still think that Sector 7 is quite enjoyable and can’t bring myself to tank the rating when I didn’t see it in all of its 3-D glory. So I leave you with a very safe middle of the road three star rating and those of you who choose to give it a watch can judge for yourselves.

8 comments:

DKC said...

Oh, Syfy channel CGI - you have your own special place in our hearts. (Not really)

AC said...

the bad cgi makes it unlikely i'd enjoy.

Crystal Math said...

I'll have to check this out -- I love the formula monster movies take.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Too bad this movie sounds disappointing. The Host was also disappointing but at least it was realistic looking.

I have little tolerance for crappy CGI in horror movies. I rented one called Camel Spiders but aborted 5 minutes in because of the lousy CGI.

Catfreeek said...

There is a decent fight between the chick and the creature that is pretty sweet.

Octopunk said...

Ooh, this sounds like a perfect thing for me to watch this month, but I don't know if I can get to it (and Netflix doesn't have it).

I have some tolerance for crappy CGI in horror movies. I try to take it case by case.

Catfreeek said...

Netflix has it on streaming but I had to bitch because the subtitles were missing.

Abduscias said...

The monsters were awesome in this :)

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...