Friday, October 26, 2012

Blood Was Everywhere

 (2012) *1/2

A rogue slasher is milling about town randomly hacking up the locals.

It so pains me to deliver this rating to this film. Having worked on a nil budgeted independent film, I know the time and effort that goes into it. I was given this film at Rock n Shock by an awesome group of enthusiastic local filmmakers and I promised to review it for them. Last night Abduscias and I popped this in the dvd player with hopes of finding some real local talent and sadly the film was a bore fest. Perhaps if it had been done as a short instead of stretching it out to feature length then it could have been fun. There are numerous scenes of locals just chatting, at the drug dealer’s house, at the bar, in the kitchen, etc. The dialog is casual and uninteresting. It was as if someone set up cameras all over town on a boring weekday and just recorded people conversing. Somewhere in the middle of the film the timeline changes without warning and the people who were dead are now alive and we get to see them hanging out at the bar together having a boring time. I also have to say the film would be better titled as Blood Shows Up Occasionally. Seriously, if you are going to name the film Blood Was Everywhere then dammit blood better be flowing like a raging river. The actual slasher scenes were few and far between all the boring conversations. Even when the slasher hit, we were hoping for spraying, spurting, walls being splattered but instead we got slow leakage.

Sigh, I’m sorry local filmmakers I really wanted to like it. I hope that my honesty serves you well in a future endeavor, keep plugging and chugging.

8 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

"Slow leakage" should be the name of another horror movie or perhaps a punk band.

Bummer about this movie but at least you were honest. I'm kind of morbidly curious about this now. Are the conversations completely pointless or are they intended to progress the story? Did the people come back to life purposefully or accidentally or was it a Pulp Fiction type non-linear story?

It makes me want to see the movie you've been working on that much more. Low/no budget horror movies don't have to suck (see 100 Tears).

Catfreeek said...

I'm going to send this one to you before next horrorthon so you can judge for yourself.

Crystal Math said...

I too was thinking about 100 Tears while reading your review, Cat, and it makes me want to explore more low-budget horror movies that have a lot of gore/blood/effects.

Landshark said...

Nice review. This made me think of Howling VII, the one set in Australia where the camera just seemed to set up in a random honky tonk bar and record line dancing for a while.

Tami said...

I enjoyed your review and cracked up at the "slow leakage." JSP is right, great named for another horror movie, maybe a companion piece with rivers of blood gushing everywhere.

Catfreeek said...

Nice to see you here Tami.

Octopunk said...

Wait, somebody else referenced Howling VII before I did? Landshark, did you watch that movie???

Great review, Cat, I feel your pain. But I don't think having no money is an excuse to make a bad movie either.

Tami said...

Thanks Cat! Glad I finally made it--I'll be slowly working my wait through previous posts. There's lots to catch up on!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...