Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Eyes Without A Face

(1960) ****

A renowned surgeon kidnaps and removes the faces of innocent women in an attempt to mend his daughter's facial disfigurement. He is riddled with guilt since he was driving when the accident causing her condition occurred, her face is virtually skinless and she is forced to wear a mask to hide it. He attempts numerous times, without success, to perform a facial transplant and as the bodies add up the law begins to get suspicious.


I reviewed Mansion of the Doomed in 2008, a film I had seen many years ago at the drive-in. Now I see where they got the plot for that film. The main difference being the daughter in MotD was blind and needed her eyes replaced where as in EWaF her eyes are perfectly in tact but the face is destroyed. This would be the superior film, well-acted and very graphic for the era. The daughter knows what is going on here and accepts it because she is desperate to be normal again. It poses that moral question, how far would you go? I also want to note that if Billy Idol drew any inspiration from this film for his song of the same title, it was purely only in title because I see no other connection in relation to his lyrics. Damn you Billy, I haven’t been able to get your song out of my head since I watched this!

6 comments:

JPX said...

This sounds great! Where do you find this stuff?!

Catfreeek said...

This is a classic JPX.

Abduscias said...

Now that damned song is in my head!!! Aack!!

Crystal Math said...

Looks great! I love stuff like this :-)

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I loved this movie and actually gave it ***** a few years ago.

Octopunk said...

I like this one too, although I haven't 'thonned it. Even though she's not directly menacing, there's something wonderfully creepy about the girl in the mask.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...