Monday, October 15, 2012

The Snowtown Murders

 (2011) **1/2

Every time I drop that 2 ½ star rating I think of AC saying it is her least favorite rating. Since I have endured quite a few of them I have got to agree, it really stinks. 2 ½ is that rating that says it was almost good if they had only changed a few things. Unfortunately this Australian ditty based on the true story of a group of serial murderers, falls smack into that stinker of a rating for me. The film is a disturbing look at molestation and pedophilia from the standpoint of a single mother raising four boys. She begins dating a new guy who is the self appointed head of a neighborhood watch team. Her 16-year-old son Jamie gets deeply involved as the vigilantes abduct, torture and murder several suspected pedophiles.

The film is glacially paced and that is my primary problem with it. I can’t complain about the actors who did a fine job or the realism, which was spot on. It just seemed to take forever to get to any interesting point. I chose this film due to the many favorable ratings it has received so obviously it does appeal to some folks. I may be the exception rather than the rule here; it just wasn’t my cup of tea.

6 comments:

AC said...

that combo of rating + content = "never see" pile.

Mr. AC said...

I'm with you, AC. Thanks for the heads up, Cat!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

It sounds like it could be interesting. So what happens, does it turn into a witch hunt?

Catfreeek said...

It's a true story so ultimately they all get arrested.

DKC said...

Oh great, now you spoiled it!!

(Just kidding) I guess that's one downfall of having watched so much horror, Cat - all the lame movies out there.

Octopunk said...

Eesh. I just looked up the real thing on Wiki.

Somehow it makes me more annoyed that the film is boring. As in "Oh great, first I'm killed by a psychopathic lynch mob and then they make a crap film about it."

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...