Friday, June 09, 2006

'Damien' gives devil movie remake its due


From USATODAY, 'In 1976's The Omen, English lad Harvey Stephens, 5, terrified audiences as Damien, spawn of Satan, earning himself a Golden Globe nomination. Thirty years later, he's the married father of 3-year-old Grace and owner of Benson's Chauffeurs Ltd., and he shares his memories on The OmenCollector's Edition DVD (Fox Home Entertainment, $26.98), in stores June 20. USA TODAY's William Keck talks to the Londoner, who went to a screening of the all-new Omen remake, now in theaters.

Q: How did you get a cameo in the new Omen?

A: They contacted me out of the blue to play a tabloid reporter at the embassy. I'm the fat gray guy who says, "Was she on drugs?"

Q: What about the new film reminds you of your version?

A: It's a direct remake, but it has its own identity. I love how they brought the deaths up to date.

Q: And what is most different?

A: Our film was more sinister, whereas they go with sudden jolts of sound (in the new version). I think they could have got a bit more dramatic mileage out of the dogs in the cemetery and the zoo scene. We had a big shot with giraffes and baboons, while they went with a caged gorilla. And they don't have the mother go out the hospital window. And Mia Farrow's a fine actress, but I think they really needed a scary English nanny.

Q: Did you notice similarities between yourself and the new Damien, Seamus Davey-Fitzpatrick?

A: He's got the dark hair and is scary-looking, but he didn't remind me of myself. But he did a very good job.

Q:What do you remember about the late Gregory Peck and Lee Remick, who played your unsuspecting adoptive parents?

A: He was a really nice man. I got Christmas cards from him. And I remember her playing with me on the swings in between takes.

Q: Any negative repercussions from playing the devil's son?

A: A few freaks have got in touch with me. One man knocked on my door with a set of six knives he claimed were from our film, asking me to sign the case. I was bathing my daughter at the time and told him to (shove) off.

Q: Have you been cursed?

A: Kids could be quite cruel when I was a boy. They wanted to know if I still had the 666 in my head. My daughter's due date was (originally) the 6th of June, but thankfully she was born on the 20th. And just this past Tuesday (6/6/06), I got quite a few text messages from people saying, "Happy Birthday."'

Octopunk, find picture here: http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2006-06-08-omen-flashback_x.htm

1 comment:

Octopunk said...

"Updated" the deaths? Because Damien has a razor scooter instead of a trike? Does the spear that hits the priest have a fiberoptic cable on it?

Razor scooter...FROM HELL.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...