Monday, June 05, 2006

Nicolas Cage on Ghost Rider

From Coming soon: 'While on the set of his new film Next, Nicolas Cage spilled some secrets about why the much anticipated comic book movie Ghost Rider was postponed and talked about his plans to direct again.

ComingSoon.net hung out with the eclectic actor for a day and learned that, although there were some reshoots in the last few weeks for Ghost Rider, it's now complete and Cage is finished with the project.

"They were just tweaking certain things towards the end," he explained. "The reason the movie was delayed, I know that's been on people's minds. There were some effects that finally got authorized by the studio which [writer-director] Mark [Steven Johnson] really wanted and they're pretty big and it took time to put them together and design them. So we had to delay it and I think it's good because it's something we really wanted to fight for with Ghost Rider going into battle with a helicopter."

Cage, who is a big comic book fan, is really excited about the movie and said he thinks the audience will love his character.

"I mean, of all the characters I feel like that's the one we haven't seen anything quite like yet. It's new terrority because it deals with the spiritual as well as the physical world and that's pretty complex stuff for a comic book character. Also he's a lot of fun. The character of Johnny Blaze, the way we've kind of all designed him, he's a fun character. I wanted to bring a little humor to it as well."

As for a sequel, don't expect him to be in one if there is another one, or any sequel for that matter.

"I'm not contractually obligated to sequels on anything. I'll never say never, but I am happy that I haven't made any sequels to this point. If I do do a sequel, I'm going to have to know for sure that the script is better than the original. So I'm going to be very careful about that because I'm not eager to repeat myself."

And while Cage may only have one film (Sonny) under his belt for directing, he's excited to play that role again.

"I'm happy with the way my directorial debut has been received over time. At first, because of the subject matter being pretty taboo, I don't think people understood and that's OK. It's interesting, I just talked to James Franco this morning. We're both kind of happy with the different responses we've received because of it's life on cable television and DVD so I thought wouldn't it be great to do something together again, so I'm actively looking for something to work with James on."'

2 comments:

Octopunk said...

Two quotes I liked here:

"The reason the movie was delayed, I know that's been on people's minds..."

Oh YEAH. Whew! Glad we all know now. Group hug?

And...

"I mean, of all the characters I feel like that's the one we haven't seen anything quite like yet."

Except for Spawn, who's all about deals with the devil and chains. I can't believe it's only just now occuring to me that Spawn is a ripoff of Ghost Rider. Which, if you can believe it, makes Spawn even lamer than you thought.

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...