Monday, April 23, 2007

Admittedly I have a thing for giant floating heads


I mean, the only reason anyone should have any interest in the movie Zardoz is because of the giant floating head that shows up in the opening scene of that movie (above).

Something about giant floating heads totally strikes a chord in my notions of what’s cool in fantasy and sci-fi. It’s just so dang surreal, but at the same time it makes a lot of sense. Anyone who’s ever felt the sensation of guilt has probably got an image like this somewhere deep in their psyche. I don’t know about you, but when I first saw the trailer for Time Bandits that included the image of the Supreme Being floating down that abstract tunnel, saying “RETURN WHAT YOU HAVE STOLEN,” some guy in my head said “oh, of course.”

4 comments:

Octopunk said...

I have seen that movie, but that's not exACTly the same kind of coolness that I'm talking about. Same idea, just minus the coolness.

I have a feeling the adjective Jewish would've gone better before the word "mother" rather than "head."

JPX said...

You're right, in my rush to get my post up I totally re-arranged the way I meant to say that. I wanted to emphasize that Woody Allen stereotyped the "critical Jewish mother" in his piece of New York Stories.

Jordan said...

You know, Zardoz is actually a pretty good movie.

Octopunk said...

You know, I don't think that's true.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...