Friday, April 20, 2007

Early Simpsons Movie review from AICN


Hey Harry,
I wanted to compare my experience with the review I read a few weeks ago, but to be honest I have no memory of what that guy said, so I’ll start from scratch. First of all the movie was in very rough shape. A lot of stuff wasn’t animated at all. A lot was still in black and white. And I think you actually realize what the visuals of the simpsons brings to the comedy when you don’t have the animation. The parts where it was totally finished played way better than the parts that weren’t and the animation was actually way better than on the show..more vivid, more 3D, etc.

Overall I’d give it 10 out of 10, the movie is exactly what you would want and expect from a simpsons movie. And I could tell that everyone in the audience thought so too, it was uproarious laughter from start to finish..high praise, but it’s worth it. I hadn’t watched the simpsons in some time, but used to pretty frequently, so seeing them again was kind of cool-nostalgic-weird, but still funny…in fact funnier because there are things in this movie that could not be shown on tv. (to name just one thing…I will let you in on a secret Bart is well hung!)

I’m writing this fresh from the theater so the sensation is still vivid in my mind. All of the things that used to draw me to the show are in the movie and kicked up a notch. By that I mean that every supporting character gets at least a line or two in the movie and goes a little above and beyond what they did on tv. Another example, Otto the bus driver, who on the show sounds as though he is perpetually stoned but how he gets that way has only been implied….until now.Homer drives the story and is classic, but on a larger scale because his incompetence not only impacts his family it also jeopardizes the existence of the entire city of Springfield.
Some of the best parts of the whole film involve Bart & Homer and Bart & Flanders because underneath there is a really sweet storyline between a father and a son.I think that’s something that eludes a lot of Simpson critics, say what you will about the crude humor (though not by today’s standards), but in the end they always stick together.

Not to nitpick but I wouldn’t have minded seeing more of Mr. Burns and Chief Wiggum. They are in the movie, but as my favorite characters, not as well developed or central as I would have liked. But that’s so minor.

Thinking back on the film in its entirety, this is a very, very funny, character driven movie with a plot that holds together well enough but on it’s own probably wouldn’t be that interesting. I know, duh, but it seems important to emphasize that you won’t feel as though the essence of the characters, that everyone loves, was compromised in the transition to film. It was a good time that truly did not disappoint..people will be psyched to check it out once it comes out.

2 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

"Another example, Otto the bus driver, who on the show sounds as though he is perpetually stoned but how he gets that way has only been implied….until now."

- Not true, they showed Otto smoking a joint on a regular episode. He said something like "Wow, what am I smoking? Oh yeah - pot."

There's no point in even reading these reviews, we're obviously going to see it and I'm sure it will be great. The question is - will it have repeat value?

Octopunk said...

Wow, I never saw that Otto moment.

What's most annoying about these reviews is people spend a lot of time talking about their personal relationship with the Simpsons, how often they watch the show and who their favorite characters are.

And I'm like, "I don't care?"

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...