Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Some Polaroids

Orvieto, Italy
A window somewhere

Assisi, Italy

Relief on church, Orvieto, Italy (Previously used as my avatar)

The above images are Polaroid emulsion lifts. I’ll briefly explain the process. I print them onto Polaroid paper from color and black & white slide film. I then put the Polaroids into almost boiling water, which causes the emulsion to release from the receptor sheet. The emulsion, which is very similar to wet toilet paper can then be applied to any surface. These were all put onto water color paper. The image can then be manipulated by wrinkling, tearing, etc.

Another Polaroid process is a transfer (see below). For some reason I always stumble trying to explain this process so I’m just not going to do it.



The below image was a black and white negative that was printed onto color Polaroid film. As you can see everything is in reverse like a negative. I have a series of these that are matted and stretch about eleven feet across my living room wall.


The next one was done exactly the same as the above image except that the emulsion was lifted like the first four.

The last images I’m going to show you are black & white Polaroids that were taken with a pinhole camera. I have found with these images that people either love or hate them. It was something experimental that I was working on. I have several, but I’ll just show you a few. Some are more abstract than others, but they are all of trees, one of my favorite things to photograph, and in each one I moved the camera in a different direction. Some were up and down, others side to side, and some in a swirling motion. All were moved at different speeds and frequencies.


I’m in a Polaroid mood right now because JPX recently gave me some of his old family slides to print onto Polaroid film.

8 comments:

miko564 said...

Seriously, everytime you guys reveal your talent or your passions, I am further amazed at the depth the folks on this little blog possess! That is some impressive shit Whirly!

The black and white negative of the tree is so good, I may require you to blow it up and bring it to the next Horrorthon get-together. My very own poster to scare the children!

The pin-hole prints just make me a little dizzy.

JPX said...

Nice post, Whirlygirl! You have shown me most of these pictures before but I've always been taken with those creepy forest shots. The fact that yuo have tons of film that you have yet to develop is intriguing. I look forward to seeing more of your creations.

AC said...

gorgeous and creepy, whirlygirl! thank you for sharing your work with the blog.

Whirlygirl said...

Thanks Miko, JPX, and AC.

Miko, unfortunately I don’t think it would work out enlarged to poster size. It would certainly be cool, but even if you could get Polaroid film in that size, which you can’t because Polaroid recently stopped making their instant films, it would cost a fortune. The tree was printed on a 4x5 Polaroid. The largest I ever used was 8x10, which I had to buy special equipment to process the film because of the size, and the film was very pricy - $200 for a box of 15 sheets of film, and now because you can’t get it anymore people are selling it on ebay for $600 a box. That’s insane. As much as I’d love to get my hands on some more 8x10’s, I couldn’t imagine paying that price. I have two sheets in reserve and not a clue what to use them for. How do I decide what gets printed on my last two sheets of 8x10 Polaroid.

The negative could be printed in an enlarger, but it wouldn’t look at all the same, and because it’s a 35mm negative it can only be enlarged up to 8x10 at the most before it’s starts to lose sharpness and detail, and look like crap.

I do have extra 4x5’s of that print and would be happy to send it to you if you’d like.

Also, you are not the first one to tell me the pinhole prints make you dizzy. They are the only images that I ever received so many mixed reviews on. At the time I had taken an interest in photographer Hiroshi Sugimoto. If anyone is at all familiar with his work, it would probably be of his series of American movie theaters and drive-ins. He would make an exposure for the length of the film in a crowded movie theater, but in the images there are no people and the movie screen is a bright light. One of these images sold a few years back at an auction for a disgusting amount a money. Octo, actually, had used one of his theater images in a blog post, which I’d never find the post if I tried to look for it. Sugimoto also has a series of very long exposures of the ocean that end up looking very abstract. His purpose of the theater and sea images were to reveal time and movement on film. What I was doing was not quite the same as him, but it’s related. I was trying to capture the effects of the movement of a camera on an object at various speeds, frequencies, and directions.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Cool shit Whirlygirl! I almost missed this post thanks to JPX burying it with Chris Kattan AND Jimmy Fallon stories.(?) I love the Pinhole prints, at least the first 3. They have such a nightmarish quality to them. Your pictures are both interesting and unsettling - perfect for the Horrorthon blog.

AC said...

agreed johnny- and i am totally loving your new avatar.

Whirlygirl said...

Thanks, JSP! I like you new avatar too. I think I need a change, but not sure what it should be yet.

I'm going to post some other creepy pictures soon. I just need to get around to scanning them onto my computer. It's some new stuff I've been working on from a long lost roll of film. The RI or NE horrorthonners may have seen the place before. I have a whole story to go along with it that includes a pit-bull and being chased by hillbillies.

DKC said...

Hillbillies in RI? I am intrigued.

These are way cool, Whirly! I like most of the pinhole pics, the last couple do make me more dizzy than anything else though.

Can't wait to hear and see more!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...