Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Night of the Creeps

(1986) ***1/2

An experimental batch of alien slugs gets jettisoned from a spaceship and finds its way to Earth in 1959. Much like their Slither counterparts, these slugs climb into your head through your mouth and take over.

There are two differences though. Here, instead of enslaving you, they just turn you into a slow-zombie. Also, while you're stumbling around looking for brains to snack on, they're multiplying in your skull, and waiting for a chance to escape and look for new hosts. They don't wind up posing much of a threat when they first land because their first carrier winds up getting stuck in cryo for study. He stays that way until a fraternity pledge prank sets him free in 1986.


Other than the changes in fashion and the modern updates you'd expect, the fact that the story jumps over two decades is almost irrelevant. There's a nostalgia for 50's sci-fi movies that permeates even the part of the story that takes place in the 80's. A lot of this is because it takes place entirely at a college in a small town -- small towns being the first line of defense in the war between Earth and Space in just about every vintage sci-fi movie you could name. Bigger cities were hinted at, but always with the suggestion that if whatever invading force made its way out of Smallsville into Metro City, it'd be too late to do anything about it.

Come to think of it, none of the characters ever mentions Space as the origin of the slugs. The slug/zombie problem is so pressing that nothing else really matters -- not Space and not the cities beyond. It's myopic. It's cute.


There's 50's sentiment in the characterizations too. One of our protagonists, on seeing the original carrier in his cryo chamber says, "Oh my god," half a dozen times in a row and then stops to ask whether saying "Oh my god" so many times in a row counts as taking the Lord's name in vain.

Even the frat guy baddie plotline is old-fashioned. Sure he's vain, superior, and pompously blonde -- and yeah, he does trip a guy on crutches at one point, and I guess breaking into a morgue and stealing a cadaver was his idea. But remember this is right around the time that Less Than Zero came out. Superior people could be way bigger jerks.

Not that much bigger

Night of the Creeps is made with enthusiasm and glee. Everyone does a good job of selling their archetype (and everyone's an archetype, from Jaded Cop, to Earnest Young Hero, to Janitor Who's Still Laughing at the Same Not Very Funny Joke Five Hours Later). It's not as funny as Slither but it believes in itself a heck of a lot more, and that makes it a lot more fun to watch. Also, no giant gross blimp-lady.

6 comments:

JPX said...

I watched this last year and gave it the exact same rating! This is a great undiscovered nugget from the 80s. I love this dialogue,

Detective Cameron: "Well, girls I have good news and bad news. The good news is: your dates are here.”

Sorority Sister: “What’s the bad news?”

Detective Cameron: “They’re dead.”


Excellent summary!

Catfreeek said...

When I lived in Japan I would get crazy bored when my (ex)husband was out to sea. With nothing but Knight Rider, The A Team and Little House on the Prairie on bilingual tv I read tons of books and watched even more movies. I remember this as one of my favorites from that time and for some reason a bathroom scene stands out in my mind. Nice review.

DKC said...

Sounds fun! No gross, fat lady would definitely be a us.

Whirlygirl said...

This sounds like a fun one. I like that you used the word "jettisoned" in your review. I have a minor obsession with that word and it's sadly not used enough.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

This is sitting in my mailbox as I type this. You did it again, you SOB.

I want to kick that smug blonde guy in the balls.

Octopunk said...

I had one of those "I've seen this, no I haven't seen this, why do I think I've seen this?" trains of thought while reading this review. I haven't seen it, but I recall the image on the video box/poster. Dead prom date.

"Made with enthusiasm and glee." Yay.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...