Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Poughkeepsie Tapes

(2007) ****1/2

I originally rated this as 3.5 stars (because I didn't like the documentary style shooting), then bumped it up to 4 stars after being afraid to walk around at night, and I'm finally settling on 4.5 stars because I can't stop referring to it and JSP can't stop telling me that he never wants to think about this movie again. Here's his review.

There was a certain fascination I acquired with the killer because the FBI Agents and policemen really dissect his psychology and methodology. As a kid I couldn't get enough of the TV show Unsolved Mysteries and at one point I wanted to be a detectiveI also felt a safe distance from the Water Street Killer because Poughkeepsie, NY is located approximately 3,000 miles from me. It sounds ridiculous when I recount this, but at the time I was watching Poughkeepsie Tapes I'd just let out a sigh of relief at each slashed throat and think, "Those poor New Yawkerhs."

Don't let the geography fool you, though: Poughkeepsie Tapes does deliver and, like a blister from a new pair of shoes, reminds you it's there when you least expect it. I couldn't stop thinking about the countless frames of terrified faces looking the killer right in the eye, negotiating, grasping for any shred of compassion in this senseless killer. It struck a sour chord with me and, like JSP, I was waiting for it to be over.
So why not the full treatment? Where's the last half-star to make this a perfect, 5-star winner? Well, I had a bit of a problem with the "FBI Agents" in the movie. The majority of them just seemed to damn chipper to be actual agents or talked like they were trying to sell me something on QVC:
"If you purchase nine saws in the next hour you'll get the tenth saw for just a penny!"

4 comments:

Catfreeek said...

Well I guess I can't say I'm glad you enjoyed this, it's more like I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disturbed by it. They sure did a fine job of making it feel real.

Octopunk said...

I still remember that one clip that Cat posted and it still freaks me out a little. Once again I have to thank Cat for giving me a copy last year and also admit that I whimped out on watching it. Next year!

I like your description of your reaction to this, Crystal. Good thing nothing bad or crazy ever happens in CA.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Nice review. I'm frankly surprised that you rated it so high but I suppose it was quite effective for the type of movie it was. It's the type of movie that bothers me.

Octo I like how you spelled "whimped" with the "h". It makes it sound slightly wimpier!

Abduscias said...

Hahaha! Loved the QVC picture!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...