Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Fear

(1994) ****

"There is no devil but fear."

A weekend of fear exploration with aspiring psychologist Richard turns deadly with the help of an adult-sized Pinocchio -- I mean wooden figure.
This thing is seriously so creepy I can't imagine how a child could find it so endearing. The Fear follows the typical formula of city kids camping out in the woods and not knowing their ass from the fireplace, and I almost aborted this one because of its terrible soundtrack. There's a reason why 90's white boy ska/reggae isn't popular anymore. Just sayin'.
I gave this such a high score because Richard's dream interpretation plays an important role and each character brings their own unique complexity and, just as they get annoying, die.

2 comments:

Catfreeek said...

"and, just as they get annoying, die." - Yes! I love when that happens.

Octopunk said...

I was going to pull the same quote. Stuck the dismount on that one.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...