Wednesday, November 07, 2012

The Ape Man

(1943) *1/2 (SBIG)



I squeezed this one in while Crystal was off tutoring because of its short running time and hilarious looking cover art. I must remark that it is a sad yet undeniably amusing experience to watch a washed up horror legend hobble around like an ape in a terrible B-movie. At this point in his career Bela’s addiction to painkillers resulted in fewer and fewer desirable role offers. The Ape Man arguably marks his rock bottom. 
Lugosi plays the reclusive Dr. Brewster, forced into hiding after his experiments transformed him into a hairy man with a beard and poor posture. Fortunately he has still has his loyal gorilla to assist him with his dirty work. It’s somehow determined that he needs human spinal fluid to reverse the effects, prompting him to go on a clumsy no budget killing spree. It’s all very silly and nearly impossible to follow due to the ghastly sound quality. (I’m not expecting a digitally remastered deluxe edition anytime soon, although I would be more than tempted to check it out.)
I have nothing else noteworthy to say about this other than it inspired me to tackle Bela Lugosi's career next October. Today I traded in some crappy CDs and DVDs at Amoeba and picked up the Dracula Legacy box set. Only 11 more months to go! 

4 comments:

Catfreeek said...

Wow, I can't wait to find out what is in Your Bela bag of goodies.

JPX said...

"The Ape Man" is such a generic title that I had to look it up on the Monster List to see if I ever reviewed it. Nope. This is one of those movies that can be found in every 50-pack of horror movies. I agree that the quality can be ghastly. On more than one occasion I've stopped watching a film because I was too distracted by the awful quality. That photo is hilarious. He looks like Cornelius from Planet of the Apes. The plot sounds ridiculous. Spinal fluid? Yuck. What a Bela low point. That Dracula set you picked up is awesome.

Crystal Math said...

I almost want to watch it to see Lugosi walking around like an ape but just seeing the ending gave me an idea of the quality to expect.

Octopunk said...

I love alla this: "... after his experiments transformed him into a hairy man with a beard and poor posture. Fortunately he has still has his loyal gorilla to assist him..."

Where's MY loyal gorilla?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...