Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver

(2011) *1/2



“Once is funny, twice is silly, three time's spanking.” This is the first life lesson I was ever taught as a child and it was taught to me by none other than my older brother JPX. I quickly learned that jokes were not as funny the 2nd time around and that a 3rd time could result in a violent backlash. The Gingerdead Man franchise could certainly use a bare bottom spanking for going to the well once too often. Sure, I reveled in the sheer stupidity and Gary Buseyness of the first one and I was able to grin and bear Gingerdead Man 2: The Passion of the Crust but Saturday Night Cleaver is where I absolutely draw the line... sorta.

The problem isn’t so much the lack of ideas. In GDM3 the homicidal cookie escapes captivity and travels back in time to the late 70’s where he resumes his murderous ways at a roller disco. The plot is framed by a socially awkward girl named Cherry who is determined to skate in the Roller Boogie contest despite the fact that her overbearing mother prohibits her to do so. The more I write about it the more I look back at it with rose tinted glasses but believe me, this one is a stinker.

Amidst an overabundance of horror spoofs like Silence of the Lambs and Carrie, the Gingerdead Man utilizes a wide range of weapons including a nail machine gun to eradicate the 70’s world of carefree, horny teenagers once and for all. He masturbates (sigh, again) and overindulges in stupid, unfunny quips. And yes, you get to see his gingerbread pecker in this one.

3 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I know this is in bad taste but I have to ask, when he finished did he squirt frosting?

Crystal Math said...

"I quickly learned that jokes were not as funny the 2nd time around and that a 3rd time could result in a violent backlash."

Oh, I thought you just wanted an excuse to spank a cookie.

Octopunk said...

This also made me think of cookie-spanking.

Well, kudos for taking this series on. Like the Leprechaun flicks, I don't really ever see myself tackling these.

Your life lesson framework is an excellent armature for this review... and life!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...