Thursday, October 06, 2016

Autopsy



(2008) ***1/2

Five friends spend a weekend of debauchery at Mardi Gras. Heading home late at night they crash their car on a lonely stretch of highway after swerving to miss a man in a hospital gown. Moments later an ambulance shows up and takes them all to Mercy Hospital. Upon arrival the hospital appears vacant save a skeleton crew staff including a Nurse-Ratched type, some questionable orderlies, and creepy Dr. Benway (played by Robert Patrick channeling Herbert West). One by one they are called to meet with Dr. Benway only to disappear. It soon becomes apparent that they have stumbled into mayhem and that Mercy Hospital has been closed for a long time.

Part of the “Eight Films to Die For” series, Autopsy more than lives up to its name. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I had so much fun watching it! It’s utterly ridiculous, cheesy, unrealistic, etc. but it delivers the goods in an extremely satisfying manner. This one is not for the faint of heart as it serves up an abundance of cringe-worthy gore. I’m pretty unflappable when it comes to this stuff but several times I had to look away. Robert Patrick is terrific with all his ham. If you’re looking for some brainless (pun intended) fun check this one out. I just learned that there is a sequel…

3 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I liked this one a lot too, great pick!

AC said...

I will totally pass, but I get the appeal for those with thicker skins.

DKC said...

Haha. You and me both, AC!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...