Friday, October 07, 2016

Scherzo Diabolico

(2015)*****

What is Horrorthon? To me it's a quest, our civil duty each year to bravely wade through a vast sea of  films from the shitty cgi monsters, mediocre bore fests, do-overs, prequels, sequels and films that only succeed in confusing the shit out of us in search of that one, the Holy Grail. Now some years we come close, a 4 star or even a 4 1/2 but the Grail eludes us. Today, a mere 7 days into this year's festivities I found my Grail! The best part is that I happened on it by accident, just a casual search through Netflix and a moderately interesting synopsis and Ba Bam! I cannot even begin to tell you how much I loved this film, so intelligently done and original. Viva Mexico!

Aram is an accountant, he has a pretty normal life wife, kid, prostitute on the side and all seems to be okay with him until he is told that he's going to be on the cutback list at work. He gets this brilliant idea to kidnap the boss' daughter and while the boss is coming unglued he will slip right into that promotion. After weeks of calculations and careful planning he pulls off the perfect crime. Things go just as planned and the job is his with his reputation fully intact. Until...

There is so much more I want to say but I dare not lest I give away the goods. Watch this! Do it now! Oh no you don't, put that copy of Paranormal Activity away and I don't want to hear any BS about having to read subtitles either!

7 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Nice find and intriguing review! We will be sure to catch this before months end.

Crystal Math said...

I was hardly done reading your opening paragraph about finding the Holy Grail when I wanted to drop everything and watch this! Thankfully I didn't as I was eating a bowl of strawberry ice cream.

AC said...

Congratulations on landing a five-star flick this early in the thon! Biddy rating?

Catfreeek said...

Biddy safe, at least safe for our girls.

JPX said...

This sounds great! Where did you find it? I have no problem reading subtitles and I think foreign horror is better anyway =)

Catfreeek said...

It's streaming on Netflix

DKC said...

Woo hoo!! Sounds intriguing and buddy safe! Goes to the top of the list!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...