Monday, October 03, 2016

Jessabelle


(2014)***1/2

After surviving a terrible accident Jessabelle must return to her dad's home in Louisiana to complete her recovery. While poking around the house she happens on some old video tapes of her long dead mother. The tapes reveal some startling predictions regarding her current life. As she and her old high school friend Preston try to unravel the mystery they find far more than they bargained for by way of an angry spirit.

I went into this expecting a serving of modern day cheese but instead found myself pleasantly surprised. The actors pulled off that laid back Louisiana vibe very well. The setting was isolated and creepy but their local ease kept reminding me that this was just the normal environment to them. I mean venturing out into an isolated swamp at night would not ever be something on my agenda but as they set off you can see that little spark of adventure in their eyes, like they are reliving a hundred quests they had when they were kids. Fairly predictable as horror goes but nicely done nonetheless.

6 comments:

JPX said...

This sounds great, is it on Netflix? I love anything to do with watching old videos and finding "secrets" in them!

Catfreeek said...

Unfortunately it is only available through DVD on Netflix, I watched it on Showtime.

AC said...

So nice when a horror movie exceeds expectations!

Trevor said...

the old video/news article revealing a secret is always an appealing draw for me too. might have to check this out. how many people you think confuse this with the movie, Annabelle?

DKC said...

Sounds like a good find!

Octopunk said...

Trevor, I think an Annabelle/Jessabelle double feature is probably in someone's future.

Nice review, Cat. I'm reminded of The Gift. I don't really plan to hang out in the South ever but it's a great setting for stories.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...