Sunday, October 02, 2016

Monster Dog

(1984) ***

I can assure you that your interest in this movie will depend entirely upon how much of an Alice Cooper fan you are. Cooper plays a popular rock star who returns to his childhood home to film a video for his latest single "Identity Crisises". The band learns that the small town is being terrorized by a pack of vicious dogs and rumors of werewolves circulate.

Like countless bad 80's horror movies, the stereotypical Crazy Old Man shows up and informs them that they are all going to die. Curiously this Crazy Old Man didn't get the memo that he is supposed to get killed or disappear immediately after his dire warning. Instead he shows up in scene after scene scaring the women and blathering incoherently. He even somehow shoehorns himself into the grand finale. Not only must Alice worry about the threat of being mauled by dogs, but he also finds himself the target of an angry mob that believes him to be a werewolf, or in this case a monster dog.

 It's all silly fun but I enjoyed it because, well, Alice Cooper. I found their "hit" song to be quite enjoyable but also starkly different from the hard rock that he is known for. Identity Crisises reminds me of 80's Iggy Pop and another song recalled 80's goth a la Bauhaus. I was pleased that they included Identity Crisis a second time (in full) to pad out the unremarkable ending.

7 comments:

Catfreeek said...

Nice one! I had no idea this film existed, I thought Prince of Darkness was his only horror film.

DKC said...

Crazy Old Man bucking the system! I love it!

AC said...

By chance the movie Mr. AC and I are currently watching has a cameo by Alice Cooper. But no matter how much you like him, this movie is absolutely not worth seeing.

JPX said...

"Curiously this Crazy Old Man didn't get the memo that he is supposed to get killed or disappear immediately after his dire warning." Hysterical! I've never heard of this film - do they play any other Cooper songs? I like, "No More Mr. Nice Guy".

Johnny Sweatpants said...

There's a second song that was pretty cool too.

Which Friday the 13th was it where the crazy old man's throat got slit immediately after his warning? It was either 2 or 3.

Trevor said...

love those 80s horror movie posters.

I saw Alice Cooper at a county fair in high school. he danced with a snake. He seemed bored.

Octopunk said...

"I was pleased that they included Identity Crisis a second time (in full) to pad out the unremarkable ending." Sentences like that are why I love Horrorthon.

I feel like I've looked at that image on a VHS box in my life some time, but I never went there. Not sure what the answer to your question is Johnny, but I think you're right. My money's on 2.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...