Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The 'Almighty' Dollar

From iwatch stuff, Evan Almighty, the not-awaited sequel to Bruce Almighty, has taken a page out of Eric Cartman's book by positioning itself as a film with a religious theme in the hopes of making a buck.

Mindful of that market, Universal Pictures has teamed up with Grace Hill Media, a public relations firm that reaches out to religious groups, to publicize the mainstream film “Evan Almighty.”

Scheduled for wide release on June 22, it stars Steve Carell as a politician who abandons Congress in order to build an ark, taking off on the story of Noah. Universal has held several screenings of “Evan Almighty” with religious leaders, hoping that they will recommend the film — with a PG rating and a protagonist who heeds a call to change the world — to their congregations.

This might be a tough sell; I bet a lot of folks will be angry that Evan Almighty ripped off the "guy can't stop growing beard" plotline from The Santa Clause.

Oh yeah, and in the movie, God is a black dude. They'll love that in Mississippi.

Epilogue: In case I ever have to defend my lifestyle to St. Peter (or a giant spaghetti monster) I'd like to point out that I got through this entire post without a single pedophilia reference.

2 comments:

Octopunk said...

Jeez, so many ways to be conflicted about this.

First, being annoyed at the marketing people for pandering to the Churchies.

Second, the fact that the Churchies may actually endorse the movie, which puts my own opinion of it in doubt.

Third, the movie stars an actor I really like instead of somebody I could completely ignore.

Fourth, in my heart I want the Churchies to hate it because I like bugging them, when in fact some sort of understanding between zealots and everyone else is probably vital to the future of the human race.

JPX said...

Nah, pissing off Catholics is fun, like shooting fish in a barrel.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...