Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Mr. T realizes that he doesn't have a lot going on

From cinemablend, Any story about Mr. T inevitably pities some fool. Writers just can’t help themselves and no matter what the point of the article, a fool is pitied. You half-expect that T’s obituary will state, “I pity the fool that misses the open casket viewing at 10am this Saturday!.”

For several years now it has been Mr. T’s career that’s been dead, but never mind, I pity the fool that would try to get him into the movie version of 'The A-Team.' Crap. In keeping with some other 80’s action television stars, Mr. T told MTV that he would never do a cameo in a movie based on his most popular artistic endeavor. While claiming he has no hard feelings against the film’s producers, Mr. T said “it’s insulting me to ask me to be in it [as someone else]. It’s just like my ex-girlfriend saying ‘Why don’t you come out to dinner with my new boyfriend?’”

I guess that would depend on how hungry you are. Mr. T has been fasting for quite awhile. You’ve got to admire Mr. T’s commitment to his twenty year old character, but let’s be serious for a second. This is a guy who did pro-wrestling. He can’t claim artistic integrity. Take the money, Mr. T! The 'A-Team' was probably his last legitimate acting job and that ended almost 20 years ago. These days he does phone company commercials. It’s not Hamlet he’s talking about protecting, it’s a guy who wore gold chains and growled at the camera.

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

No no, this is good. As discussed in the Magnum P.I. post, Hollywood isn't really doing right by these old T.V. shows. These celebrity boycotts promise to be a completely ineffective first step to getting it right.

Okay, okay, there might be some awareness-raising.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Regarding the TV to movie debate - I can't help but think of the brilliant Brady Bunch movies. Greg, Alice, Carol, & Peter all guested and I enjoyed every last second. In fact, I can't take it anymore, it's time to watch them again and celebrate Mr. Brady's sound advice:

"Children are like little people... only younger".

"When the gift the giver gives gives grief, the gift the givee gets will be regret".


I can't believe that Mr. T still proudly sports the mohawk, good for him. He's such a trip.

Octopunk said...

The first Brady Bunch movie is absolutely brilliant, but let's remember the original show was a comedy in the first place.

I suppose the deconstruction they did for the movie is a parody in a way, but if the other movies went after their source material with the same level of cleverness I expect we wouldn't be bitching.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...