Friday, August 01, 2008

Definitely skip Mummy 3


From aicn [excerpt] Shit. Unmitigated, inexcusable shit. I can't remember the last time I looked around and saw so many critics positively mortified to be watching what they were watching. We were embarrassed to be in that theater. It is a humbling, humiliating experience that will take anyone who bitched about nuked fridges and swinging monkeys and show them just how much Spielberg and Lucas actually got right. When you see kung fu yetis high five one another and celebrate touchdown kicks, your jaw will drop to the floor. It is not funny. It is not exciting. It is two solid hours of explosive boredom, with a loud driving soundtrack to serve as a constant reminder of how much fun you're supposed to be having. It's rather like leaving a party at a club because you think the DJ is kinda lame, only to end up at someone's Bar Mitzvah. I mean, you just saw this movie three months ago. Only much, MUCH better.

Read the full review here

2 comments:

miko564 said...

So Rachel Weisz is a genius. I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't do another "sure thing".

I must admit to liking both of the other Mummy movies. I thought they were fun, and I liked both Fraser and Weisz (who is a hottie) in them. Third movies are REALLY difficult to do well it would seem. (For Gods sake even Lucas put Ewoks in a film...)

Octopunk said...

YES!! Somebody else who liked the first two Mummy movies! I knew there was somebody else out there.

A guy I knew saw Mummy Returns and pointed out the weird plot device of Brendan Fraser's significant tattoo, weird because it was never mentioned or seen in the first flick. Then I saw the second flick and noticed that Fraser's kid says "I saw a carving like your tattoo!" and then pulls off the leather wristband that Fraser was wearing during the whole first movie to reveal the tattoo. Cheap trick? Yeahhh, but clever.

Also Rachel freaking Weisz doing Matrix fighting in a gold bikini. What the hell else does a movie need?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...