Friday, April 17, 2009

Draft complete; Jordan emerges from bathysphere


On Monday, we turned in the second draft of our young-adult supernatural thriller 7 Souls ("we" meaning myself and my writing partner Barney). I say "young-adult" because that's the market, the characters etc. but it's really aimed at any reader from any age group who's into this kind of thing (cynically, anyone willing to surrender a swipe of their credit card in exchange for our unassuming little diversion). 7 Souls is now on schedule for Random House's Spring 2010 list, but of course that could change.

Anyway, I'm, like, blinking in the sun like somebody who's been trapped in a mine for 40 days or something. I want to go out among "humans" again; I must visit these "bars" and "gathering places" I have read about while locked away. Given that this is "Horrorthon" I thought I'd drop by with, like, way, WAY early news about an upcoming scary book, but mostly I wanted to drop by to say hello! I like what you've all done with the place, what with the groovy poetry-slam coffee house beatnik thing going on every week and the intense photo galleries the rest of the time. Someone's going to say, "Why doesn't Horrorthon have horror movie reviews?" the way that people say, "Why doesn't MTV play music videos?" Except they'd be wrong, because you still have them.

7 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Hahaha! Welcome back to Horrorthon and humanity Jordan! We've missed you. (Well I have at least, can't speak for the other jerks.) Can't WAIT to read the book. I'm sure it's a class act.

Catfreeek said...

I second everything JSP spat out above me. Congrats a thousand times over and can't wait to read it.

Jordan said...

Thanks!

I was just emailing with jpx about this--about actually getting up at bat with a supernatural/horror/sci-fi type tale. I said:

I love having done this particular kind of timebending plot. (You'll have to see what I mean.) But this means I can totally win geek arguments about time travel in sci-fi, because now I can say, "Look, pal, I've DONE it" and give them the Amazon link for my book as an example of what I know about telling time-travel stories. it doesn't mean I've automatically done it well; it may be awful but at least I ran that race.

Jordan said...

BTW Johnny the remark about how you "can't speak for the other jerks" is great for two reasons (independent of its own original wit):

1) It's reminiscent of MAD magazine's "The usual gang of idiots" (the phrase they use every single time they must define the artists/writers on mastheads)

2) It's reminiscent of a crazy Chuck Jones cartoon called "The Dover Boys at Pimento University" in which the narrator slips: he says "The youngest of the three jerks -- ah, boys -- was Bill, the etc. etc."

AC said...

welcome back jordan and congratulations on your draft!

DKC said...

Hallo, Jordan! Welcome back to the land of the living as it were. (We do still have the occasional zombie.)

Congrats on the book!

Octopunk said...

Having read the extended outline for this book, I can confirm that we all have good reason to be excited. I hope we're reviewing the movie for Horrorthon in 2011 or 12.

Or, whenever. But I think it's got cinematic possibilities.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...