Saturday, April 25, 2009

1922-2009


I am so saddened to hear that Bea Arthur is no longer among us. I consider The Golden Girls to be one of the funniest sitcoms of all time. The interplay between the characters created some of the funniest exchanges ever filmed for television. Here's a random reminder,



Although the show ended in 1992, it's never been off the air, mostly due to Lifetime's near non-stop airings of the reruns. At one point it was on like 6 times/day. And you know what, it never gets old. Like The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Seinfeld for me, I've seen every episode numerous times yet I still laugh just as much every time I catch it. I'm so bummed that Bea died. In some weird way I always thought she would be around.

Of course, who can forget her appearance on the awesome Star Wars Holiday Special?



Let's not forget Maude!



I'd like to think that somewhere Bea is giving someone the classic Dorothy look of disgust,



Dorothy: No matter how strongly you feel, Frank, I cannot let you leave the Priesthood for me.

Frank: Whaaat??!

Dorothy: I understand how hurt you must feel.

Frank: *LAUGHS*

Dorothy: Alright, maybe I don't understand exactly!

6 comments:

Whirlygirl said...

It's devastating news. I don't think there was a funnier woman than Bea Arthur. I was just watching an episode of the Golden Girls last night, but because I had been drinking and was half asleep the only recollection I have of the show is of Dorothy yelling. She is so memorable that I woke up laughing thinking about what she said.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Waaaaaaaaah! Yes it's an epic bummer and I maintain that she's the funniest woman ever. (Yeah whatever Tina Fey. Bea Arthur could do more with one raised eyebrow than you could with your entire etc.) Still, she was quite old and had cancer for a while so it's not an overwhelming tragedy. But needless to say I'm holing myself up for the night to celebrate her life with one of my bimonthly Golden Girls marathons...

Catfreeek said...

Ah Bea, what a tragic loss. I've been a fan of her dry humor since she first appeared as Maude on All in the Family. The interaction between her and Archie was what sparked her very own show. Maude was the first true liberal independent woman to grace the small screen. She killed that plastic June Cleaver image that followed women for decades. Golden Girls put Bea & Rue together again and with Betty and Estelle it made the perfect cast. Bea left her mark on the world and certainly here on Horrorthon. A very nice tribute JPX.

DKC said...

Your tribute was better anyway, JPX. Very sad indeed. I know it's going to be happening more - that generation has so many people I'm going to be sad to see go. *sigh*

JPX said...

Betty White pays tribute to Bea Arthur

"Bea was such an important part of a very happy time in my life and I have dearly loved her for a very long time," Golden Girls actress Betty White said in a statement Saturday of her co-star Bea Arthur, 86, who passed away over the weekend. "How lucky I was to know her."

Fellow Golden Girls actress Rue McClanahan also spoke out. "[Thirty-seven] years ago she showed me how to be very brave in playing comedy. I'll miss that courage. And I'll miss that voice," McClanahan tells TV's Entertainment Tonight.

Julie said...

Yes, very sad.

I have to admit I totally missed that Star Wars holiday special. What a weird little cranny of pop culture history.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...