Thursday, September 10, 2009

The R.O.B. explanation



The haiku in question:

R.O.B. was a disgrace
His solitary function?
Gyromite Crapfest

From Wikipedia (with my own opinion peppered in italices)

R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy, a name so stupid it insults everyone who is old enough to pronounce it) is an epic failure of an accessory for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Released in 1985, it had a short lifespan, with support for only two games which comprised the "Robot Series"; Gyromite and Stack-Up. Both were the exact opposite of fun. Nuf? R.O.B. was released with the intention of portraying the Nintendo Entertainment System as something novel in order to alleviate retail fears following the video game crash of 1983. I've never met anyone who has played with R.O.B. for more than 5 minutes without getting disappointed and/or angry with him.

6 comments:

Catfreeek said...

He looks like Johnny 5 from short circuit.

HandsomeStan said...

For the record, I was totally with ya on that haiku. I played Gyromite for exactly 45 seconds in 1985.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I remember playing Gyromite at the Whiteman's for the first time. Mark & Brad warned me against it. "Forget it man, it's stupid. Let's play Duck Hunt," they said. I made them plug R.O.B. in and 45 seconds later I was consumed with rage and annoyance.

Octopunk said...

Once again Wikipedia is taunting my ignorance, although being tuned in on video games I missed doesn't quite sting the same way as being informed of dance moves I was too unhip to know.

HandsomeStan said...

Really, Octo, I wouldn't sweat it. Only shitheads attempted The Robot.

And there was a sub-group of bigger shitheads within that group that did "Malfunctioning Robot."

Within that sub-group were 5 people who actually liked "Gyromite."

None of them were cool.

50PageMcGee said...

rob was pointless, except as a decoration. there was a way to play gyromite without him. you'd just push the red and blue buttons with your feet. wasn't a bad game at all, actually.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...