Saturday, January 09, 2010

Twin Peaks Season 1

(1990) *****

The small town of Twin Peaks is shocked out of its apparent sleepy normality when the body of prom queen Laura Palmer is discovered naked and wrapped in plastic. When another teenager is discovered wandering in a fugue state, FBI agent Dale Cooper is called in.

Following a particularly stressful Christmas, Mr. AC and I decided to lay low for the New Year's long weekend. We kicked off New Year's Eve by watching the Twin Peaks pilot episode, then worked our way through the rest of season 1 over the next few days. I had remembered the first season as excellent, but hadn't watched it systematically for a long time, and the experience more than lived up to my memories. The first season provides a perfect blend of mystery, mood, intrigue, and satire, ending in a cliffhanger worthy of any prime time soap opera. It's so good, I've been putting off starting season 2 so as to savor the perfection. For Mr. AC and me, it was the ideal way to begin 2010. Maybe it'll become a tradition.

5 comments:

Octopunk said...

That sounds like a tradition I can get behind, although I don't know if you mean Twin Peaks every first weekend or watching a season of any good TV show. If it's the latter, I think you should do Firefly for 2011.

Myself, it's been far too long since I immersed myself in Douglas fir.

Catfreeek said...

You're inspiring me to rewatch it now, I loved this series. That first season is total perfection.

JPX said...

I just watched all 115 episodes of The Wonder Years, it rocked.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I've seen Season 1 so many times I can recite it backwards (which trust me, makes the backwards midget shit even weirder sounding).

Octopunk said...

Ahh! Johnny Sweatpants' avatar was all red and devil-horned before, but now it's EVIL!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...