Friday, June 18, 2010

Battle Raging Over Age Listings on IMDb



From thewrap [excerpt], Representatives from Hollywood guilds including the Screen Actors Guild have reached out to the site to see about taking down the birth dates of people who are not movie stars like Angelina Jolie or Leonardo DiCaprio, according to an individual knowledgeable about the talks. (A spokeswoman for SAG declined to comment.)

The guilds argue that not just writers and actors, but also below-the-line workers as they crest 40 face fewer job opportunities in a business that tends to prefer 25 year olds. Listing their ages publicly is exacerbating the situation, they say.

But IMDb isn't eager to make the change, according to people knowledgeable about the disagreement.


Read the rest here

1 comment:

Octopunk said...

Hmm. Both the privacy issue and ageism issue are interesting, but I wonder if the Suber quote at the article's end is the most important point. Namely that getting a job will require an interview at some point, and it's harder to lie about your age in person.

Julie and I both have issues to deal with regarding imdb. I have two profiles (I'm Jeff Cross III and IV), and Julie's credits are mixed up with another actress with the same (maiden) name. I haven't even started dealing with it, and I don't know if I will. But I guess I'll leave out my birthday.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...