Monday, April 03, 2006

Even by flop standards I'm embarrassed for Basic Instinct 2

"With Ice Age: The Meltdown's mammoth $70.5 million opening this weekend, don't look for Manny, Sid and Scrat to go extinct any time soon.
Basking in a weekend showing that beat even Fox distribution chief Bruce Snyder's hopes by $15 million, Fox animation chief Chris Meledandri vows there will be a third Ice Age. (Related chart: See the weekend's top 10 films)

Meltdown boasts the biggest-ever March opening, topping Ice Age's $46.3 million in 2002. Fox's Blue Sky animation studio also holds the third-biggest March opening, last year's Robots, with $36 million

"We had hoped and prayed for $55 million," Snyder says.

Meltdown shows that "the communal (moviegoing) experience cannot be replaced," Meledandri says.

Brandon Gray of Box Office Mojo notes it was the biggest opening since December's The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

The biggest animated-movie opening belongs to Shrek 2, with $108 million in 2004. Final numbers, out today, will show whether Meltdown tops Finding Nemo ($70.3 million) and The Incredibles ($70.5 million).

A weekend flop: Sharon Stone's Basic Instinct 2, $3.2 million, No. 10."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

..and there you have it. Drum roll, please, for Sharon Stone's elaborate Shaggy Dog joke. Punch line delivered. It wouldn't nag at me if the joke didn't seem to have some kind of tragic under-layer revealing the darkness within us all

JPX said...

I guess teenage boys don't want to see that shaggy dog naked. I'll chek it out on DVD. I am surprised that is flopped so hard. I mean, I could see it as second or third for the weekend, but 10th? That's Ishtar floppable.

JPX said...

Sorry for all the typos everyone. I was choking on my own rage.

Octopunk said...

I saw her on Thursday's ep of the Daily Show last night, but I left the room before she started talking. I think she got new boobs. The clip they showed looked awful, and there was something about the way she was carrying herself that seemed to be desperately saying "I'm still hot."

As opposed to just being still hot, which is certainly within her grasp. If you just relax instead of yelling "I'm over 40 and naked!" people will forgive the wrinkles and mention your enduring hotness. This way she's asking for scrutiny she can't handle.

JPX said...

You're right about that. I've seen her on a few talk shows promoting this film and she's totally doing it the wrong way. Basically she's saying, "Look, just because I'm Hollywood-old doesn't mean I can't be naked". It's the wrong angle to play up because it pushes most of her audiance away. A better approach would've been to play up the other aspects of the film and allow word of mouth to spread about all her nudity.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...