Monday, April 10, 2006

Yawn...Weekend box office results

From USATODAY, "Despite a slew of newcomers at theaters this weekend, nothing was a match for Ice Age: The Meltdown, which held the top spot at the box office for a second consecutive weekend.
The animated comedy took in $34.5 million, a 49% drop from last week's debut, according to studio estimates from Nielsen EDI.

Still, it was enough to make the movie an easy winner over The Benchwarmers, the comedy starring Rob Schneider and Jon Heder that opened at $20.5 million.

Meltdown has taken in $116.4 million, making it the first film this year to reach blockbuster status. "It's a bit shocking no movie has done it by now," says Chris Aronson, a senior vice president with 20th Century Fox, which released Meltdown.

The Antonio Banderas dance drama Take the Lead was third with a respectable $12.8 million, followed by Inside Man with $9.2 million.

The crime thriller Lucky Number Slevin opened at No. 5 with $7.1 million, which met most analysts' expectations. Ticket sales for the top 10 movies surged 33% over the same weekend last year."

From Moviesonline, "The normal guy who does the Box Office report didnt get er done so you get mine instead. Yes Chris, I am throwing darts at an image of you as we speak. j/k. Ice Age 2 continues its dominance at the box office pulling in the #1 spot. Followed up by The Benchwarmers which looks absolutely hilarious and oddly enough Take the Lead. I have no idea how take the lead has taken the #3 spot. Here is the top 10 movies in the box-office this week.

Ice Age: The Meltdown ( review )
The Benchwarmers
Take The Lead
Inside Man ( review )
Lucky Number Slevin ( review )
Failure to Launch
ATL ( review )
V for Vendetta ( review )
Phat Girlz ( review )
Thank You for Smoking ( review "

(JPX) - I'm so out of it I haven't even heard of half these films.

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

I posted that stupid Take the Lead poster because I've been passing one of those every day on the way to work and, although I know nothing about this movie, I hate it. I'd been thinking about making a post about it but I had nothing to add except that these dance movies annoy me. Or maybe just the marketing of dance movies. Or maybe Antonio Banderas. What happened to him? When he was just some guy in Pedro Almodovar movies, he was really cool. Then he came west and married Melanie Griffith. Oh, I just answered my own question.

JPX said...

I saw the trailer for this film and it made me HATE Banderas. What is it with people who think that a crappy "dance" flick is a good idea?

JPX said...

Is Jordan still alive?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...