Tuesday, April 04, 2006

An interview with the new Supes


From AICN,

QUINT: So, with the movie just a couple months away now it looks like they're just starting to put you through the ringer leading up to release...

BRANDON ROUTH: Yes. (laughs) This is ringer number one today.

QUINT: I noticed the Weta Collectible SUPERMAN RETURNS statues just popped up online and have seen a lot of the merchandising for the movie previewed out of Toy Fair. Is it weirding you out to see yourself starting to pop up all over the place?

BRANDON ROUTH: Yeah, it's crazy. I've seen some of the stuff online and some of the things look like me and some of the things don't really look so much like me. (laughs) Like they had to make the jaw bigger because it has to fit on the neck joint on these things. I've heard these things, I understand. Maybe it's good that not everything looks like me. But it's pretty crazy, especially those Weta things. I know Bryan (Singer)'s really excited about those things happening. I'm eager to actually see one in person.

QUINT: I just saw the footage WB brought to ShoWest...

BRANDON ROUTH: Oh! Was it great? I haven't seen it.

QUINT: Oh, man... It looked fantastic.

BRANDON ROUTH: Cool. Good.

QUINT: I mean, I was psyched by the Comic-Con footage... that had you up in that Alex Ross pose up in the...

BRANDON ROUTH: Up in space...

QUINT: Yeah, just kind of floating there... I thought it was great. Classic Superman pose... but then this footage they just showed had so much more of Superman in action...

BRANDON ROUTH: Good.

QUINT: The highlight of the footage was the airplane sequence. Do you think that sequence will be the centerpiece of the movie?

BRANDON ROUTH: It's very intense. There's... there's more than that. Definitely more than that, but that is an incredibly intense scene and... I tell ya'. We did so much work on that. That was the bulk of my green screen work was making that look real. We shot and reshot that stuff.
But it's incredible. Kate (Bosworth) did such an amazing job. She's getting thrown around in that thing. I had no idea because I'm off in another stage and she's in one sound stage getting thrown around in a 777 and I'm floating on green screen. But that definitely kicks the film off.

QUINT: Was that your favorite sequence to shoot?

BRANDON ROUTH: There's a day, actually... I can't really... I don't know how much you saw, I don't know how much is in there, so I won't talk about it too much, but one of the best days I had, one of the most fun days I had flying was shooting that plane sequence. I went flying down onto the plane and they actually had me elevated at a weird angle up above a piece... They actually threw me down onto it and I had to grab ahold of it, which is really cool.
A lot of stuff was just me flying around with nothing there. That was a hands on thing that was just fantastic.

QUINT: Besides the plane sequence, which scene are you most anxious for the fans to see... I'm talking about the scene that'll play to the midnight audience, first show... Which scene would you be waiting to see them react to if you were standing at the back of the theater?
BRANDON ROUTH: Well, I can't really talk about it, but it's towards the end of the film. It's very...

QUINT: Can you hint at it... at least throw a landmark out there so people who read this will know which scene you were talking about after they see the movie?

BRANDON ROUTH: It's basically my... When Superman has his confrontation with Lex.

QUINT: Kevin Spacey is such a great pick for Lex Luthor...

BRANDON ROUTH: Incredible presence. It's great, I mean the presence of that guy. I mean, I didn't have to do any sense memories for that. (laughs) He brought it every day. Everybody will know when they see that. And from then the film... nobody is going to blink from that point on in the film.

QUINT: What's next for you? Obviously if Superman does well you're in for a sequel...

BRANDON ROUTH: Superman's definitely been opening up a lot of doors for me. As opposed to two years ago when I was knocking on doors. I don't have to knock on doors now, it's just about finding a role that'll be different enough from Superman to continue my career... you know, for the rest of my life.

QUINT: Christopher Reeve did that really well, I thought.

BRANDON ROUTH: Yeah! That's the challenge. Been reading lots of scripts.

QUINT: You are open to the Superman sequels, right?

BRANDON ROUTH: Well, I'm sure when the film comes out and if Warner Bros is really happy... they're really happy now, but I'd be really excited to do another movie. We've got it down now. We've got it down.

No comments:

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...