Thursday, January 15, 2009

26 Years Later, Man Solves Rubik's Cube


I'm a crazy person

From geekology, It took Graham Parker 26 years to finally solve the Rubik's Cube he bought back in 1983. If you can't tell by the picture, he's really proud of himself. Kind of reminds me of the first time I ate a 72-oz steak and got my picture on the wall.

'I cannot tell you what a relief it was to finally solve it,' the 45-year-old from Portchester, Hampshire, said. 'It has driven me mad over the years - it felt like it had taken over my life.

'I have missed important events to stay in and solve it and I would lie awake at night thinking about it.

'I have had wrist and back problems from spending hours on it but it was all worth it. When I clicked that last bit into place and each face was a solid colour, I wept.'

Wow, Graham, so you're a little crybaby, huh? Now I'm not saying there's ever a time when a person should just accept their own mental inadequacies and bail on a project, but damnit Graham, that time was 25½ years ago.

9 comments:

nowandzen said...

I used to run around and show people how I could do it in 35 seconds in high school when it was really popular. Now, that may seem impressive until you realize that I used a book that I got when I was sick in bed all day and came back the next day an idiot savant.

JPX said...

I used a book as well but it still made me look like a big man.

Catfreeek said...

I took all the stickers off and restuck them making it appear that I was a genius in being able to solve the cube. I finally confessed to my family after reeling with guilt from all their praises. The look of disappointment on my father's face plagues me to this day (not really but it sounded good).

Octopunk said...

I pried mine apart with a screwdriver and reassembled it in the solved configuration. Which is how I approach a lot of things in my life.

Catfreeek said...

So I guess we all cheated in our own way. Did anyone here actually solve it legitimately?

The Mr. said...

ohhh, seventy two ounce steak!!!!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

As for me, I've never solved the fucker. I have a KISS rubik's cube and it's always been my fantasy to get good at it and stand outside a 7-11 to show off my skills to passersby. It goes something like this:

Me: Hey man, wanna see a Space Ace? (Shhk-shk-shk)

Guy: Dude, you're fucking awesome! But can you make the Star Child?

Me: (shk-shk-shk)

Guy: Amazing! Can you do me a favor and sleep with my girlfriend?

nowandzen said...

omg... lol First off, a Kiss cube.. my oh my.

Secondly, "please sleep with my girlfriend" because of your epic rubic skills. That's good stuff man.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Stop mocking my fantasy!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...