Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Jackie Chan to star in 'The Karate Kid' remake


From EW, Jaden Smith has found himself a mentor. Jackie Chan will take on Pat Morita's Mr. Miyagi role in Sony Pictures' remake of The Karate Kid. The movie stars 10-year old Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness), who is the son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, and will be directed by Harold Zwart (The Pink Panther 2). Will's production company, Overbrook, will produce, and Jada has been rumored for the role of Jaden's mother in the film. China Film Corp. Group will coproduce the movie, which will shoot entirely in China.

[JPX] With all due respect, Jackie, you're no Mr. Miyagi.

6 comments:

JPX said...

Last Sunday all 4 Karate Kid movies were on so of course I had to watch them while painting my living room. I forgot how fun they were as I haven't seen them in many years.

HandsomeStan said...

Interesting post, which is tangenitally related to the theme of Hump Day. Awesome!

And the first movie is a piece of cinematic genius. "Mercy is for the weak."

The others...well, I don't want to risk offending a serious fan :)

JPX said...

Aw come on, part 2 is pretty good! Mr. Miyagi must defend his honor and Daniel-son learns some valuable lessons about love, life, and the importance of being true to yourself. At least that's what I think it's about. Really, it's all about the karate ass-kicking.

Octopunk said...

I like the idea of Jackie Chan in a KK remake, but only if HE plays Daniel-san.

HandsomeStan said...

With regard to 2:
A. no Elisabeth Shue
B. barely any Martin Kove (John Kreese, the sensei of Cobra Kai dojo)
C. there seemed to be PLENTY of mercy for the weak as a result
D. the whole "swinging punch" that he learns by avoiding the metal thing on a rope is a FAR cry from the crane kick that takes Johnny's face off
E. no Elisabeth Shue

I don't think I ever saw 3, and 4 is in exactly the same place in my mind that SW Episodes I-III are in: it simply doesn't exist.

Come to think of it, "The Karate Kid" is a HELL of a haiku topic! I wish I'd thought of it! I would like to humbly suggest it to next week's host...

JPX said...

What, are you crazy, Revenge of the Sith is AWESOME! At the very least it kick's Jedi's butt.

Karate Kid 4 was not really a Karate Kid movie at all and it stars a young Hilary Swank learning lessons about life, love, and the importance of being true to yourself.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...