Thursday, January 15, 2009

Handsomestan lied, Producer Says "Shazam!" is Still Alive


From worstpreviews, Last week, screenwriter John August revealed that the long-rumored Captain Marvel movie called "Shazam!" is now dead. "By 'dead,' I mean that it won't be happening," he said. "I don't think it's on the studio's radar at all. It may come back in another incarnation, with another writer, but I can say with considerable certainty that it won't be the version I developed."

Now, producer Michael Uslan tells MTV News that fans shouldn't abandon hope of seeing the hero in theaters. "I will only say one thing — and all I will do is quote Samuel Clemens to you," hinted Uslan. "This is direct from Captain Marvel himself: 'The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.'"

It doesn't surprise me that Warner Bros would want to proceed with "Shazam!" and according to August, expect a dark story of Captain Marvel vs Black Adam, which is very different from his original script that he referred to as "'Big' with superpowers."

Captain Marvel is a superhero roughly as powerful as Superman. What's unique about the character is that in ordinary life, he's teenager Billy Batson. Speaking the name of the wizard who gave him his powers (Shazam) calls down a magic thunderbolt, transforming him into the uperhero. But he's still a teenager in there.

7 comments:

HandsomeStan said...

Okay, now I can tell all of you the truth: I haven't the slightest idea what I'm talking about half the time.

Everyone at those levels of decision-making are all a bunch of bipolar schizoid wackos at best, where the merest whim can snowball into a tentpole summer movie, and an equally minor whim can destroy the same.

Normally, I would call the 1st AD and find out what he knew, but since he got fired from my last movie, we haven't actually spoken.

And I sent him this real nice note, too. What a fucker.

Overall, though, I want to see this damn movie. And work on it.

JPX said...

...and put JPX in the background of a fight scene...

HandsomeStan said...

Oh, definitely. Can you look surprised?

JPX said...

I sure can!

HandsomeStan said...

"Well, I played Panicky Idiot #3 in The Poseidon Adventure..."

"We were looking for more of a duh-duh kind of idiot."

JPX said...

I can do duh-duh!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

He can! I'll vouch for that!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...