Thursday, October 27, 2005

Evilspeak


(1982) *1/2

Stanley Coopersmith gets picked on by students and teachers alike at the military academy. They call him names like "Cooper-dick" and throw his hat out of the window. And I can't say I blame them. His bumbling antics and constant petrified "why me?" expression makes it virtually impossible not to whip his chubby behind with a wet towel. When stuck with basement cleaning duty, he comes across a mysterious book that gives him the strength to stand up for himself by awakening an evil spirit named Esteban. Esteban appears through his Intellivision-like computer and starts meting out revenge.

This is one of those movies where I started off wearing a good-natured, optimistic smile on my face. It soon spiraled down to the point where I felt ashamed of myself for watching this garbage to the bitter end. 3rd rate Carrie knockoff.

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

I think I saw the end of this on cable once. Does it involve lots of cutaways to computer-screen pentacles and such?

Yeah, I'd want to beat up Clint Howard, too. He was in House of the Dead, and it was a relief when he was in zombie form because he didn't talk.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Yeah, that's the one. I didn't know he was Ron's brother!

Octopunk said...

You basically see him in every Ron Howard movie somewhere, and also the total crap he can get without his bro's help. I always thought of him as a real-life Booger.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...