Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Night Creatures


(1962) **

While desperately searching for a new direction for my Horrorthon (after the disastrous zombie endeavor) I stumbled into a pack of 8 classic Hammer films between 1962-1968. I was very pleased with the restoration of the films as most Hammer flicks I've seen in the past have been severely deteriorated VHS tapes. (Note: I'm having difficulty obtaining the specific years for these movies, please help someone).

Night Creatures is a long-winded period piece complete with funny hats and white wigs. Captain Collier and his sailor boys are sent to a coastal town to investigate the appearances of "marsh phantoms". These phantoms consist of men in skeleton suits who come out on misty nights and terrorize the town. Peter Cushing plays the reverend who rules the town but has some secrets of his own. Like many Hammer films, Night Creatures goes out of its way to ensure that even the exciting scenes are peppered with a little boringness. In spite of everything, I surprised to learn that I was in the mood for exactly this kind of movie.

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

I can concur on two of your comments:

Last year I tried to watch Hammer's To the Devil, a Daughter but the VHS tape was too degraded to work. This weekend I watched it on dvd and there certainly was a quantity of boring.

Octopunk said...

Looking for a picture for this, I had to wade through dozens of pics of the Kiss album Creatures of the Night. I almost posted that instead.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Love that album cover. It was hanging on my wall for a while until Lauren made me take it down. It has since been replaced by the Asylum album cover.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...