Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Nolan wants to ruin Batman sequel


ComingSoon.net sat in on an edit bay session with director Chris Nolan for The Prestige (lots more on that next week!) and the helmer talked a bit about both his blockbuster hit Batman Begins and its upcoming sequel, The Dark Knight.

Nolan said he was very surprised by Batman Begins' success, "for the simple reason that I felt we had really poured our hearts out in making a good film and that on our own terms we had succeeded. I never really expected to satisfy critics and Batman fans and regular audiences equally. I mean I thought maybe we'd get two points on the drawing board if you like, but the fact that all three seemed to respond well, that was a big surprise to me. I mean it felt like you were going to lose one aspect or someone… I think we were very fortunate in that regard, it's very gratifying."

Talking about the follow-up, in which Heath Ledger will play The Joker opposite Christian Bale, he mentioned that they're changing things up. "I think what people responded to well about 'Batman Begins' is how different it was from their expectations so I think we would be foolish to not recognize that and to [try to replicate that now predictable blueprint]. I think we'll be doing something very different for the sequel. I certainly wouldn't have any interest in trying to repeat experience or the formula we've made, because particularly being the origin story, it's a very unique thing, a very singular experience. My interest would sort of be to move on from that and to do something quite different."

The Dark Knight is coming in June of 2008.

2 comments:

Octopunk said...

I find your headline misleading. I was expecting much worse news than "new direction." Have faith in the Nolan!

Heh, "nude erection."

JPX said...

I needed some attention-grabbing headlines to make you read this dull post.

It worked.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...