Tuesday, August 08, 2006

M. Night Shyamalan continues to lack insight


"Lady In The Water" director M Night Shyamalan admits he considered taking his name off the credits for next film "Life Of Pi" to stop negative reviews reports UK Teletext.

The director has received criticism for his latest film and said: "I really thought Life Of Pi might benefit if I took my name off of it. People think, 'Oh, he's the scary guy' and put me in a box. Then when it's not scary the film gets criticised."

He added "I'm struggling to deal with that stuff. The Sixth Sense was a scary movie, then Unbreakable was a 'mistake' because it wasn't scary. I guess I have a naive attitude but I want some movies to be different, and not be too boxed".

"Life of Pi" is based on the 2002 Booker prize-winning novel by Yann Martel and follows Piscine Molitor Patel, an Indian boy from Pondicherry, who explores the issues of religion and spirituality from an early age and survives 227 days shipwrecked in the Pacific Ocean.

4 comments:

Octopunk said...

"People think, 'Oh, he's the scary guy' and put me in a box. Then when it's not scary the film gets criticised."

Yep, figured he was working with a rationalization like that. Don't forget "it's too sophisticated."

Besides, I don't think of him as "the scary guy," I think of him as "the crappy narcissistic director guy."

Anonymous said...

Right, octo. And, since when was "Unbreakable" not scary? It sure was marketed that way (okay, not his fault) and it seemed to think of itself as having some thrills and a "killer" twist ending.

Any time anyone asks me what's wrong with Unbreakable, I say, "He FORGOT he has superpowers." I really don't need to say anything else.

JPX said...

Even Lady in the Water was marketed as a "scary" movie when it was really just Splash 2.

Octopunk said...

Wow, that comment made me think of a LITW scene and I became immediately annoyed.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...