Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Shazam! movie dead; what the hell, Handsomestan?


You know when you hear "a reliable source" from a site or a media outlet and instantly groan as you read the latest rumour about someone appearing as Catwoman or some other rubbish? Well this is really is a reliable source. From the writer of Shazam! comes the news that the film in it's current incarnation is dead.

According to John August, who was writing the script, the project has faltered and he even says "It ain't happening".

It seems that a lot of time has passed since John August delivered a draft for the script at New Line. His draft there returned some notes from the studio which he then went to work on, but the WGA strike intervened.

At that point the Shazam! story was rather like a comedy with lots of action. It was described in a one liner as "Big but with superpowers", something rather limiting, but essentially the case, for the character is a teenager who can change into a fully fledged superhero with the utterance of the word, but inside he's still a teenager.

Read full article here

1 comment:

HandsomeStan said...

Okay, here's the REAL story -

I have no real story. This sort of thing happens, and the only inside scoop I had a few weeks ago was that the guy that was going to direct it had decided to move forward with Get Smart 2 (he did the first one) rather than do Shazam!

Great idea, in my opinion. What better use of one's time could there be?

Anyway, this director was the one that was talking to MY boss, the 1st AD who I had been working with on the piece of shit show in Boston when I first got wind of the whole thing. I then proceeded to wear my entire collection of Shazam T-shirts for a week straight (it's true, I've got 5: Cap w/ yellow bolt, Cap w/ gold bolt, Black Adam yellow & gold, and Captain Marvel Jr. Pretty lame, Milhouse...)

Perhaps I jinxed it, but I also put JPX's avatar partly to blame.

Anyway, I was waiting to hear the latest while out in Phoenix on the Luke Wilson movie with the same 1st AD, and then the producers fired him and promoted me. So I didn't really have a good chance to work in a "Sorry you got fired, but what about Shazam?" moment.

The version I read, though, was definitely NOT "Big with superpowers." It was a fairly straightforward origin tale, plenty of Black Adam, and a big awesome final battle. I suppose it could have been better, but I really think the producers who make these kinds of decisions (i.e. shitheads) were totally swayed by The Dark Knight, and obviously have never read a Captain Marvel comic book in their lives, and tried to fit a square peg into a round hole, and cocked the whole thing up.

Sigh. I suppose I have to write the damn thing now...

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...