Monday, January 05, 2009

What's the R-rated movie you were too young to be watching?


From EW, It occurred to me recently, as I was preparing for interviews with '80s heartthrobs Adrian Zmed and Christopher Atkins (castmates on VH1's Confessions of a Teen Idol, premiering tonight) that I shouldn't have been a fan of Bachelor Party and A Night in Heaven when I was 15. (I was probably even younger the first time I saw those R-rated movies on TV. I'm just guessing. And being generous.)

Obviously, I turned out okay -- even if I couldn't ask Atkins any questions about playing a stripper in A Night in Heaven because I was sure he'd be able to tell, over the phone, what a pivotal role that performance played in my coming of age. So let's all share the R-rated movies we now realize we were too young to be watching.

[JPX] Halloween was definitely one I saw when I was way too young. I first saw it on television (with commercials) when I was 11 and it absolutely terrified me.

9 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I saw Dawn of the Dead at waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too tender an age. In fact the biker getting his intestines eaten is one of my earliest memories. (Thanks JPX!)

JPX said...

Really? I introduced you to Dawn of the Dead? I honestly don't remember that. It seems like something that I would do. I remember sneaking into Porkys when I realized that Chariots of Fire was unwatchable.

Landshark said...

First of all, Chariots of Fire is excellent!

I saw both First Blood and Zapped! when I was in the 5th grade. I think those were my first two R-rated movies.

The power to make boobs pop out with a "zap" has always intrigued me, ever since.

Catfreeek said...

Landshark~How did you make it through the entire COF movie? I tried twice and just couldn't do it!!

JSP~ Do you remember an incident of Zeke accidentally getting hold of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre tape here when he was like 2 or 3 and you being disturbed finding him laughing hysterically at the grampa dinner torture scene?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I'm not sure what I find more disturbing - 3 year old Zeke laughing along with the maniacs or Landshark thinking that Chariots Of Fire is in any way an acceptable film.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

My first R movie was Monty Python's Meaning of Life. I remember being quite impressed with the scene where the man got to choose his own death.

Unknown said...

I'm with on Bachelor Party - seeing it at age 7 was probably very inappropriate. Pet Semetary at age 9 was terrifying. And no one probably remembers this movie, but, Tin Men at age 10 left me with some disturbing images of sexuality.

Landshark said...

Hm. It's often remarked that COF didn't deserve "Best Picture," an opinion I agree with.

Don't think I've ever heard anyone call it unwatchable though. Seems like a pretty beautifully done little period piece to me. I still get sucked in whenever I come across it while surfing!

That said, for a 12 JPX with Porky's as option #2, I can certainly understand and agree with the decision to bail.

Octopunk said...

I really don't know what my very first R-Rated movie was, but I do remember seeing Stir Crazy with my parents and my mom dropping her jaw during the strip club scene. I think they just expected liberal use of the word "fuck." That said, they were pretty casual about the R-rated thing.

JPX's dad bought us tickets for Videodrome at Swansea Mall, although he didn't watch it with us.

I know I saw Porky's in the theater, but I conveniently looked a little older and bought R-rated tix all the time. And then cable arrived, and all bets were off.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...