Friday, October 30, 2009

Dead Alive

(1992) ****1/2

Lionel, an ultra momma’s boy, falls for Paquita, a local girl who believes they are destined to be together. Sensing her sons detachment, his mother follows the couple on their date to the zoo where she is bitten by a Sumatran rat-monkey She shortly falls ill, and turns into a zombie. Lionel is forced to keep his zombie mother and her victims under control while hiding them from Paquita and his gold digging uncle.

I had no idea what I was getting into when I watched this movie a couple of weeks ago. In the opening moments, I was annoyed by the bad acting and shitty dialogue to the point that I almost turned it off, but luckily I soon realized that this is all part of its charm. I laughed like crazy, and I felt queasy in a number of scenes, like when puss and blood oozed and squirted out of an arm sore and flew into someone’s bowl of custard pudding. When I told JPX I was watching this, he mentioned the lawnmower scene. He said it was the only part of the film he could remember, and I can see why. It’s pretty damn memorable, and anyone else who has seen this film certainly knows why. Definitely one of the craziest movie endings I’ve seen.

2 comments:

Catfreeek said...

The puss in the pudding turns my stomach every time. I seriously have to look away. That baby grosses me out too, it's just...ew! So glad you reviewed this, great choice!

Octopunk said...

I saw this in the movie theater a couple of 'thons ago and half the audience had dressed as zombies. I willfully forced myself to watch the pudding scene, because it grosses me out so. The spurting wrist is bad enough, but then the ear!

I can watch any number of violent dismemberings, but get the idea of eating involved and I physically react. Eew.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...