Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Uzumaki


(2000)

Kirie lives in a small town with her father. Her best friend and childhood crush Shuichi is having a problem with his father, he is obsessed with spirals. Shuichi’s father, Toshio has become so fixated on them that his family is beginning to worry.


Toshio finally commits suicide by stuffing himself into a washing machine which twisted his body into a spiral. After Toshio's death things get very strange in the town, more and more people become obsessed with spirals and they start to change. Some of them transforming into human snails. Kirie is caught up in the midst of the phenomena as she watches her family and friends slip into the spiraling madness.


I expected nothing less than more silly Asian madness jumping around nonsensically and leaving me confused. What I found was a pretty nifty little horror flick. Although there are many unanswered questions, the infectious spiral obsession is compelling.


Not all of the obsessed simply turn into snails, some of them contort into spirals and even one girls hair becomes a spiraling entity of it's own. It's really a cool concept. Honestly, I don't know how the Japanese come up with some of this shit.


If your having an urge for the obscure this film will suit you just fine.

3 comments:

JPX said...

I was on a major Asian horror movie kick about 6 years ago. At that time I purchased a ton of films overseas because that was the only way to get them back in the old days. I have this one as part of my collection but I'll be damned if I recall much about it. I still remember that scene where the woman jumps in the swimming pool but finds herself trapped when she tries to resurface. Wait a minute, that was The Legacy.

Trevor said...

I can't say I'm having an urge for this obscure a horror flick - but great review, as always.

Octopunk said...

"I still remember that scene where the woman jumps in the swimming pool but finds herself trapped when she tries to resurface. Wait a minute, that was The Legacy." That made me chuckle.

Spirals? Cripes... videotapes, cellphones -- what don't the Japanese think will kill you?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...